Led light in the shower extractor fan proble

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend of the family who is an electrician wired up my shower extractor fan that had a halogen bulb in it, because the rest of the room had LED's i wanted to replace the halogen bulb with an LED to match, just inserting an LED bulb caused it to continuously flash, so my electrician used one of these LED transformers
http://www.screwfix.com/p/halolite-led-constant-current-driver-1-9w/66599
well, it worked for about two weeks and then started to flash occasionally, then after a few months flashed continuously, i took it back and replaced it, but we had the same problem with the second one, i also replaced the LED bulb but it was still the same, i have currently reverted back to the old transformer and halogen bulb.....any ideas anyone please.??
Thanks Dean

Sponsored Links
What sort of fan is it, what sort of bulb does it take, and are the fan motor and the light separately powered?

What sort of fan is it, what sort of bulb does it take, and are the fan motor and the light separately powered?
Hiya, thanks for the reply...
this is what i purchasd
http://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-shower-light-extractor-fan-kit-chrome-100mm/25652
and this is the led bulb that i have been trying to use
http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-mr16-led-lamp-gu5-3-346lm-5w/8632g
he has wired the extractor so that it will only work when all the lights in the bathroom are on from the main switch...if no lights are put on, then the shower light does not work, if the lights are put on, then the shower light is on, but we have a pull cord that we can turn on the extractor if the lights are on...if you understand that
Thanks Dean

There doesn't appear to be any mention of the voltage this requires

Almost all LED lamps will have a driver internally to control the current through the LED element. ( Lamp = cirrent driver and LED lement

Almost all LED lamps require a certain voltage from the power source and NOT a controlled current ( the driver in the lamp does that function ).

Therefore almost all LED lamps require a constant voltage source and NOT a constant current source

Sponsored Links

Almost all LED lamps will have a driver internally to control the current through the LED element. ( Lamp = cirrent driver and LED lement

Almost all LED lamps require a certain voltage from the power source and NOT a controlled current ( the driver in the lamp does that function ).

Therefore almost all LED lamps require a constant voltage source and NOT a constant current source
thanks Bernard.....
so what does that mean? what do i need to do?
your talking to a welder here lol
cheers

Yes there is:

screenshot_1203.jpg

And it has an integrated 12V lamp.

The instruction manual on Screwfix's site is illegible.

Does the power supply just do the light, or the fan as well? It looks like it's probably the former, in which case it would not be surprising that it flashes - it's probably too small a load for the supply.
Thanks for the reply
I'm not sure, the fan light comes on when the main light switch is turned on,then all the lights in the room are on, including the extractor fan light, but the extractor fan doesnt work until the pull cord is pulled...not sure how he has wired it up, but the fan or light will not work until the main lights are turned on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back