Changing the way front door works

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a new-ish 5 point front door. I think most door locks work the same way now but we would really like to disable the outside handle.

I tried a split spindle which initially I thought had solved the problem, until I managed to lock myself out. People couldn't get in from the outside at all as it no longer could be used to unlock the multi point locks or the main latch.

In a previous house, the front door worked the same way in that both inside and outside moved up and down to operate the multi point locks but there was an additional spring loaded latch that could be operated from the inside handle but needed the key turned against a spring on the outside.

Sponsored Links
If the key retracts the latch then you can use a split spindle.

Some have 2 spindle holes and use offset handles, if you have only one then you need to make sure you get the right spindle for it. Try and find the make of the lock and get in touch with the company.

:)

The key doesn't retract the latch, it only moves by moving the handle dòwn. In fact,I moving the handle downwards seems to do two things. Firstly it retracts the bolts around the frame and then retracts the latch. Locking the door with the key only seems to stop the handles moving downwards.

Sponsored Links
In that case you would need a new gearbox or whole locking mechanism. These can cost up-to £100 and then you would need new handles as well plus drilling new holes in the door etc. It is a pain of a jo0b to find the right gearbox for any given door unless you know who manufactured it.

Someone should do a sticky about the lever pad setup with how often it is asked about here.

In my opinion don't do it. It promotes laziness in not correctly locking the door which means a quick kick or shoulder barge and a burgaler is in. Then as you haven't locked your door correctly your insurance company will refuse to pay out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back