Changing trv on a live system

Good grief, have some awareness of how the internet works.

Explain how the internet could help when the quick switch of valves doesn't go to plan

You could of course order the pipe freezer on Amazon and stem the water while you wait for it to arrive.

And stop harassing me on the forum.

I am harassing not you but the stupid advice that appears on this forum.

Sponsored Links
This thread and your attitude breaks most of the rules in it.

The rules dont seem to be applied linearly on this forum so carry on...
Stop imagining things. If I was breaking any forum tules, my post would be removed. Talking of posts removed, you are doing quite well.

All I asked was for you to explain in detail what you post. Your YouTube clip covers basic stuff. I asked the question as valve change I carried out was nothing like what the YouTube suggested. Explanation is not forthcoming because you cannot comprehend a task can grow arms and legs and that is what separates you a diyer who claims to be an expert and me who has been in this field 30 years ( and still can screw up and have the grace to admit the error, apologise and take it on the chin)

Sorry for the long reply, but I thought I would have a go at explaining my philosophy on this forum.
Yes, this is an open forum, so you don't have to agree! :)

I am a DIY'er and don't proclaim to be otherwise; I have some all round experience from renovating my house and I need a good general knowledge for my occupation.
My interests and a good portion of my work, involves electronics and IT.

I occasionally post on the plumbing forum and sometimes, rarely, my electronics insight allows me to give advice, that might be missed by a gas engineer.

A poster on this forum may get advice from literally anybody. This is great, but also has drawbacks.

We all make mistakes and on a written forum, there is a lot that can be misinterpreted. Also assumptions have to be made when trying to understand a post.

However, if an RGI was to answer a post and potentially put someone at risk of harm, they put themselves, their career and the reputation of their profession at stake.
This is a lot of responsibility that isn't shouldered by a DIY'er.

For my own peace of mind, I don't dive straight in to answer a post. If I am unsure about something I am writing, I make it clear that I am a DIY'er and may be incorrect.
And above all I have respect for the people on this forum, that have a vast amount of collective knowledge and professionalism.

What I see from some recent posts is questions being answered with absolute certainty, when often there should be doubt.

This isn't just a 'forum', in some circumstances, the posters have a very real risk of coming to harm, if following incorrect advice - I take this seriously (and sometimes agonise over my replies).

A poster should be able to get advice they can trust - let's not make it any more difficult for them :)

Sponsored Links
1a) Abusive or unhelpful posts are not welcome on this site and are always removed!

To BlueLoo

Some of your posts go beyond Abusive or unhelpful as they are giving dangerous advice to people seeking help.

I have blocked him, for the stupid comments he has made. Unfortunately any new comers to the site might well take his advice and find themselves quickly, way out of their depth.

Agreed.

Where is the balance between opinion and advice?

I only offer opinion as my Sig says.
Some take that as offering advice.

I'll only offer an opinion if i think it's of worth to the OP. Quite happy to be told it isn't. I think others struggle there. They assume you are as intransigent as themselves.

I use this forum to learn. Tis great for that.
It's also worth noting, that SIGs aren't always visible on the mobile version of this site! ;)

Ooh. Good point.

Didn't think of that.

You live and learn :)
Screenshot_20211222-200002_Chrome.jpg

Sorry for the long reply, but I thought I would have a go at explaining my philosophy on this forum.
Yes, this is an open forum, so you don't have to agree! :)

I am a DIY'er and don't proclaim to be otherwise; I have some all round experience from renovating my house and I need a good general knowledge for my occupation.
My interests and a good portion of my work, involves electronics and IT.

I occasionally post on the plumbing forum and sometimes, rarely, my electronics insight allows me to give advice, that might be missed by a gas engineer.

A poster on this forum may get advice from literally anybody. This is great, but also has drawbacks.

We all make mistakes and on a written forum, there is a lot that can be misinterpreted. Also assumptions have to be made when trying to understand a post.

However, if an RGI was to answer a post and potentially put someone at risk of harm, they put themselves, their career and the reputation of their profession at stake.
This is a lot of responsibility that isn't shouldered by a DIY'er.

For my own peace of mind, I don't dive straight in to answer a post. If I am unsure about something I am writing, I make it clear that I am a DIY'er and may be incorrect.
And above all I have respect for the people on this forum, that have a vast amount of collective knowledge and professionalism.

What I see from some recent posts is questions being answered with absolute certainty, when often there should be doubt.

This isn't just a 'forum', in some circumstances, the posters have a very real risk of coming to harm, if following incorrect advice - I take this seriously (and sometimes agonise over my replies).

A poster should be able to get advice they can trust - let's not make it any more difficult for them :)

Cracking reply. You have hit the nai squarely on the head. Reasoect and admire your attitude

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back