Changing Unfinned Rad to Finned Rad - Size issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Old unfinned radiator, fed using 15mm copper pipes.

The plan is to change to a finned radiators, the old one does not have a TRV therefore its time to upgrade and make the house more "efficient".

For £100, I can pick up 3x rads, 3x TRVs etc. The plumber wants £200 to fit them, which for 3 rads seems steep. There is some minor adjustment to the pipework, however the pipes run under the floor, therefore its extend one, and shorten one... simples..

Measuring the rad, I cant find a radiator which matches the exact size..why is this?

An example of one of the 3, Is its 59.5"...

20140210_060923.jpg

Sponsored Links
Most, if not all rads are now metric sizes. Buy a rad slightly less wide than the one you're replacing and either fit extension pieces, or make them as I do.
PS, don't use the telescopic extensions as these tend to leak if not aligned correctly. View media item 39743

Good quality TRVs like Drayton TRV4s cost about £18 each!

Sounds like you are buying the worst quality wax element because you want the cheapest.

I charge about £100 each for fitting a rad if there are no pipework changes under the floor! More like £130 if underfloor changes needed and thats if old boards which come up easily!

Seems you want a cut price job.

Perhaps the house is a cheap ex-council or something but if its a normal house my advice would be to buy the best! The fitting charge is the same whatever you fit !

Tony

Sponsored Links
Perhaps you have never had any exposure to TRV issues!

You probably dont know the response times of wax element ones compared with liquid ones?

Tony

No, not really. Never heard of the difference.

Only recently had a "Nest" fitted.. previous to that we had no thermostat, just a timer. To go from No Trv, to a Trv is a step towards the future..

In my view you would have been better buying TRV4s and installing a normal programmer!

And yes, I have a Nest here and I am an accredited installer for them!

Tony

We are getting there slowly. When we purchased the house, it had no rads in the lounge, hallway or bedroom 4 . We've had them fitted, the cladding off the dorma section of the house and insulation upgraded to 75mm. Next is flat roof insulation.

In the short term, a fix is the rads changed with trvs then we can decorate. A few months then maybe a combi instead of an immersion.

Where in uk are you? Always looking for a plumber. Even to fit me a 3-way valve as currently it is 2 knobs..

That rad is ancient - maybe 1960's . £ 200 for a day's work including the bottle of inhibitor sounds about right . It could be a long day or a normal one depending on how it fills and runs after . Looks like it could be a 1 pipe system :confused:

Its 2 pipes, both pipes are pictured. The far one is leaking at the valve.

It drains well, I have drained it and cleaned the header tank out (inc sludge), then put in a bottle of Sentinel De-Scaler/Sludge remover. I also have 2 further bottles of De-Scaler to go in during summer for the heat exchanger. The boiler is a Ideal Mexico RS30 ~ Floor standing, Heat Only with rrectangle flu...

Most, if not all rads are now metric sizes. Buy a rad slightly less wide than the one you're replacing and either fit extension pieces, or make them as I do.
PS, don't use the telescopic extensions as these tend to leak if not aligned correctly. View media item 39743

I guess its a case of measure, and cut down to size. I guess with a huge radiator, the bedroom will be pretty warm, pretty quick....

If so, £4.00 isn't a bad idea. Might have to go with 300mm or 400mm high rads instead of a narrower, 600mm high rad.

Its 2 pipes, both pipes are pictured. The far one is leaking at the valve.

I can see that ... I mean under the floor :idea: .A one pipe system often has a valve on one end and an elbow @ the other like yours . The thermo valves for these systems are expensive

In the short term, a fix is the rads changed with trvs then we can decorate. A few months then maybe a combi instead of an immersion.

Best top take old rads off and THEN decorate!

If you fit new rads first they will be in the way as you decorate!

Tony

Nige - Thanks.

Agile - I think having newer rads fitted is more than a priority than decorating at the moment.

Rads still work at any age!

Although new ones with fins give more heat output.

This is needed because a condensing boiler works best at a flow temp of 70 C whereas old boilers were designed for a flow of 80 C.

So the extra output of the fins just compensate for the lower heating temperature.

But then new rads do look so much nicer.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back