Old Radiators - New TRV's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In short,

I think I have old radiators which may have a 3/4" thread, I can fit a bush to reduce it to 1/2" which will enable the fitment of the TRV, however I have a concern about the distance of the new TRV.

This picture shows the old radiator connector, without TRV.

ifn39w.jpg

This picture shows the old radiator connector, no lock-shield.

2zqu79i.jpg

We had a new rad installed earlier in the year, as we had a room without a radiator.

15yx5wn.jpg

We are worried if we fit a new TRV, with bush the length wont be the same size. We will need to fit an extension, or bend the pipes.

I can have a new radiator fitted for £50, if we supply the radiator. This seems a good price, however we have 3x rads like this (un-finned etc), therefore the cost is roughly £100 a rad to change then.

Views?

Sponsored Links
Thanks, that's nice to know.

I can see that the connection (Tails?) on the Rad will need to be changed on one end. Are these normal sizes? Where can I buy one from?

Sponsored Links
Thanks, i have a boiler change coming up. We wont be able to balance the system without a lock-shield.... £6.50 for a TRV and Lock-Shield from Screwfix, not the best quality (Drayton Liquid) but its a start..

Morning,

Appears that the new TRV's are not the same size as the old connections. The old valve has a longer body, which means the copper pipe can be shorter. I can put the new trv and oliver further up, but that's not good practice.

One of two things need to happen -

a) Extend the copper pipe
b) Lower the radiator

I cant see any other way, unless there are bigger trvs

How much difference are we talking ?
I would cut the copper and put new pieces in but if you are not confident then it might be easier to drop the rad 1/2" or whatever.
Most rad valves will be the same length.

If the pipes come up from under a wooden floor, there may be enough movement in the pipes to enable new valves to be fitted without major changes.

If none of the radiators have lock shield valves, you may wish to check that you don't have a one pipe system before undertaking any major central heating works.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back