Radiator Cabinets for TRV valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We have a rather unsightly radiator which i am hoping to cover with a radiator cabinet. However, the radiator has a TRV valve. I remember someone in BG telling me that we cant put a radiator cabinet on a radiator with TRV valves, since the TRV will cut off supply as the radiator heats up. Is this true? Is there a way to hide the radiator.

tnx in advance
Wokman

Sponsored Links
Take the head off the trv then it wont cut off room probably wont get too hot as you have covered rad with a big cabinet ;)

Do remember that covering a radiator has the same effect as covering a lamp; you loose a considerable amount of the emitted energy.

Sponsored Links
What make is your existing TRV?

Here's some info about rad cabinet design. The dimension, 'a', should be at least 10cm and is the height/width of a slot running the complete length of the cabinet.

View media item 8482

Here is a picture. Not sure of the make.. It says 'British Gas' on top.

What make is your existing TRV?

Here's some info about rad cabinet design. The dimension, 'a', should be at least 10cm and is the height/width of a slot running the complete length of the cabinet.

[/img]

Here is a picture. Not sure of the make.. It says 'British Gas' on top.
British Gas re-badge Drayton TRVs. All Drayton TRVs use the same body, it's just the head which is different.

You can get a remote setting kit, which replaces the head. It comes with either a 2m or 6m capillary tube.

ETF2 2M remote setting kit Part No: 07 55 002
ETF6 6M remote setting kit Part No: 07 55 006

Thats not the case of all using the same body!

There are two types which have been used in more recent years.

The latest is the TRV4 and that has a bi-directonal body with a marking on the body showing a right angle with arrows at each end. They are current.

The earlier type is just marked TRV and does not have the body marking. They are now obsolete but you might still find remote heads around particularly on Ebay etc.

In reality the existing head can just be removed or turned up to max.

Be aware that covering a rad like that reduces the heat output by up to about -50% and I dont recommend them for that reason.

Tony

LOOKING AT THAT PIC I CAN SEE WHY YOU WANT TO COVER IT...
:eek:

Agree, but we plan to put a dinning table in front of it, and the last thing we want would be guests to back onto a hot radiator. Gives a differnt meaning to a Sunday Roast :)

I boxed all my d/stairs rads, they all had trv's fitted, all I had to do was adjust the trv's.
All works fine, I even have 2 large rads in 1 room both with trv's (people say thats a no no), But you yet quicker heat up & then you can have one shut down before the other & it may need not come on again till next day.

As for comparing it with a light bulb being covered is not the same, as the light bulb will still use the wattage stated & will run hotter & result in failure quicker.

Covering a rad that has a trv & not adjusting the trv will result in less heat being radiated & lower costs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back