Old radiators and TRV's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
MY radiators are over 25 years old and have approx 3/4" connectors with brass screw fitted - all new TRV's seem to be 15mm connecters - is there a suitable brass adapter to enable me to use these valves??

Sponsored Links
in the trv box u should get new rad tails....
take out ur old 3/4 tails and fit in the new ones

I thinkyou mean you need a "bush". 3/4" outside diameter, 1/2" internal. Should be easy to get from a pl merch.

Just gone through a similar scenario, although the tails are 1/2". A word of caution, a number of our fittings were the old brass, unchromed type. Upon trying to remove these, most of them just crumbled or rounded with very little effort. The net result, rads with parts of fittings that could not be removed. Purchased new rads all round in the end. :evil:

Sponsored Links
If you have trouble ubdoing the brass tails apply heat with a blow torch to the rad first, paint it again later. As Chris says take put the 3/4 part and replace with a 3/4 bush with 1/2" female which will then accept your trv tail.

If your pipes are 3/4" step them down to 15mm with a 22mm compression fitting, 3/4" olive at one end and 15mm adapter olive in other end, or get a 3/4 by 22 socket and put a 22 by 15 reducer inside the 22mm end.

I think Jeremy is talking about rad valves with flange unions fitted, not 3/4 tappings in the rads...why should the rads have 3/4 tappings even 30 yrs ago. they cost extra..I bought some in the 70`s for a gravity system :LOL: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back