changing weather strip/rubber seal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Is it possible to replace the weather stripping on double glazed windows? I'm talking about the rubber seal that you see when you open the window and it is around each pane so when you close the window it is air tight.

If so how do I go about getting a replacement and making sure I purchase one that fits?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Ok I have looked at the gaskets and ordered a sample pack so will try changing these.

The issue seems to be that the corners on the hinge side have a gap and do not sit tight to the gasket when closed. I have a feeling that changing the gaskets won't solve the issue but may be part of the solution as long as I can adjust the hinges some how to make the Window sit tighter.

I know there is a hex key adjuster which I have had a look at (I did a few quarter turns just to make sure I didn't go too ott) and nothing seems to have changed. Should I try tightening more?

Many thanks

Are you talking about the hex key adjuster on the latch? Many of them are like an offset cam they only need a quarter turn or so to adjust the closing, rotating them 360deg will put you back where you started so to speak.
If you can pop a picture on then someone may know the type you have.

Sponsored Links
If its in the corners of the hinge side then its most probably worn sloppy hinges or even broken, you also mention hex adjustment on the hinge, if the window opens out then its a friction hinges and I doubt there is any in/out adjustment, if its a tilt n turn there is up and down adjustment with a hex key, might even be sideways depending on the make of gearing you have, in and out adjustment for tilt n turns can be done with the keeps on the frame and roller cams on the opener again with a hex key, pictures always help though

I see. Maybe that is why I didn't notice any change. I will post some pictures as soon as I can.

Thank you for the replies.

Agree with Crank , more than likely the window hinges ( friction stays ) are worn , replacement is the only sensible solution. You can normally tell if its the hinges as the ' back ' edge doesn't close flush on the internal gaskets.....A lot more common than people think!

If I post a picture would it be possible to say how and what to change/what needs to be replaced?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back