changing wheel bearings on Megane II

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I need to change the wheel bearings on my Megane II estate. Would of course like to do this myself.....just wondered if I need any special tools for this (rear wheel bearings) any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!
cheers

Sponsored Links
Just a bloomin' great press, mate - but a couple of points first,
If there are discs on the rear, often they come complete with a new hub so you change the whole lot.
If its drums, then the bearing is available seperately.
On both types, check that the ABS reluctor is present in the new bearing, and its installed the correct way round.....your main dealer will probably advise you best.
John :)

bang on you can buy a complete unit for these cars where you get a new bearing, reluctor and disc and fit it complete to the car. give unipart a shout they normally carry the part in stock in most branches

Sponsored Links
You can get genuine ones off ebay for about £130. Saves any doubt as to whether you get the abs rings or not.

Nobody's mentioned that you'll need a mighty torque wrench, brake calliper tool or 32mm socket either.

View media item 38137see what you mean. so.....normally, I take off the protective cap and unscrew ( after I've taken the breaks apart and taken the caliper off) and the disc and bearings just slide off and the new ones slide back on?
probably not I think.......
I took the car to a garage because of a noise that I suspected was the bearings. They took it out and confirmed that it was. Then they gave me a quote that included the wrong type of bearing (I changed the rear brakes last year and took photos). When I took the tyre off tonight I saw this View media item 38138that pad looks out of position, or is it just me....could that be the cause of the noise? have I 4ked up when I changed the pads or is there another reason ? :

Just as you reckon - remove the dust cap, undo the large nyloc nut and the entire assembly should pull off the stub axle. (Caliper and bracket out of the way, of course).
The pic of the pad looks fine to me - usually they wont reassemble unless they are correctly fitted.

OK so no 'special tool' in this case? is it important to not over tighten the N.nut when I replace the hub?

A caliper rewind tool will be very handy here, and certainly the centre nut should be torqued up.
Perfectionists could insist on a new nut too - personally I don't bother so long as the nyloc centre isn't overly worn. Loctite would suffice here too.

Sponsored Links
Back