Renault Megane coupe wheel bearing advise.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My Megane has developed a very noisey front o/s wheel bearing and is need of replacment.

Ive never done one of these (but have done other bearings). Have any of you guys done one of these? If so did you need a press for the bearing? Is it tapered? how long should it take and roughly how much is the bearing?

Cheers guys.
:p

Sponsored Links
No taper and yes a press was needed.

Get hold of the new bearing and it will give you an idea of whats involved.

Can take quite a bit of time as the whole strut has to come out.

Very common on all Renaults after 70k miles - but as you are in Berks and he is in Leeds I doubt if you'd make a profit!
John :)

Sponsored Links
im a mobile mechanic and im cheap where are you ?

Hi BQ, I live in West Yorkshire but i should be able to do this myself if not my father is an "old school" mechanic but never done one of these. Thanks anyway.

Hi Mursal,

Thanks for that, sounds like it could take a few hours (stripping down and rebuild time). Do you know if its a dealer part only?

The bearing? It can be had from any motor factors (Eurocarparts etc) and comes completely sealed including a circlip. Its worth checking if your car has ABS when you specify the part though - there could be a difference.

The bearing? It can be had from any motor factors (Eurocarparts etc) and comes completely sealed including a circlip. Its worth checking if your car has ABS when you specify the part though - there could be a difference.

Not got ABS, any idea of cost? Have you done one of these yourself John?

I've done a couple of Clio bearings, much the same.
Quite a bit of work as you need to present the bare hub to a garage who has a press. This involves removing the brake caliper, carrier bracket and disc after slackening the driveshaft nut, unbolting the hub from the strut (a system that Renaults usually have, bless 'em)
Freeing off the bottom ball joint, pulling the drive shaft clear of the hub and giving it a good clean.
If your driveshaft has a toothed wheel on it then it has ABS and you may have to disconnect the wire of the sensor to the hub (can't remember that)
before everything comes away.
Not such a bad job really but do use a press to shift the bearing....you can get away with a huge vice and some sockets as spacers but its a real bind if something goes wrong.

I've done a couple of Clio bearings, much the same.
Quite a bit of work as you need to present the bare hub to a garage who has a press. This involves removing the brake caliper, carrier bracket and disc after slackening the driveshaft nut, unbolting the hub from the strut (a system that Renaults usually have, bless 'em)
Freeing off the bottom ball joint, pulling the drive shaft clear of the hub and giving it a good clean.
If your driveshaft has a toothed wheel on it then it has ABS and you may have to disconnect the wire of the sensor to the hub (can't remember that)
before everything comes away.
Not such a bad job really but do use a press to shift the bearing....you can get away with a huge vice and some sockets as spacers but its a real bind if something goes wrong.

John, you're a diamond. My mates got a press at his garage (HGV fitter) so I might owe him an ale or 2 soon!

Thanks again and merry Xmas!
:D

If he's an HGV fitter, he'll probably push the bearing home with his thumbs :p
Be lucky and all the best mate

im a mobile mechanic and im cheap where are you ?

Hi BQ, I live in West Yorkshire but i should be able to do this myself if not my father is an "old school" mechanic but never done one of these. Thanks anyway.

Hi Mursal,

Thanks for that, sounds like it could take a few hours (stripping down and rebuild time). Do you know if its a dealer part only?

this is my first time on this . right a press is good but. i have just used a big hammer and i mean a hammer . with skill .

Sponsored Links
Back