Changing Windows in a Flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I am planning on changing the windows in my flat.
They are currently wood sash and I plan to change them to UPVC conservation sash windows.

The size and opening method will stay the same. The only variation is the material.
We're not in a conservation area or anything like that.

I have permission from the freeholder of the flats to change the windows.
However I am struggling to work out whether I need planning permission from Lambeth council to do so and if so what sort of planning consent I require.

The whole piece on permitted development rights for flats and the terminology being used has confused me somewhat.

If anyone has some insight on this I would be very grateful!

Thanks,
Peter

Sponsored Links
Very unlikely that you would need any kind of planning permission so long as the appearance is the same unless your flat is listed. are you in a conservation area? Has anyone else done the same?

If you ask your council they will unlikely to give you a straight answer because they are lazy/thick/want some money for a planning application. The rules seem to vary a little from council to council.

One of the more difficult areas. You might be best forgetting permitted development for a moment, and concentrating on wether or not what you are proposing is actually "development". I've seen it argued (successfully) that replacing a window with exactly the same window design / size / colour etc direct replacement that look exactly the same from across the road (for example) would not be defined as development (so doesn't necessarily matter about conservation etc)

Are you in a conservation area? or Under an Article 4 Direction? You will find the council are being grey because in some instances, you may be able to do it, but they are being fairly vague, and often like you to put an applicaiton in so they can maintain it (especially in conservation areas etc) Also different councils interpet "Development" differently, and often some won't reason with you regardless as they just want to protect the area.

****Sorry typed my reply the same time as Freddy did

Changing windows is development. Normally this would be permitted development, but flats do not have permitted development rights. If there are no permitted development rights, then planning permission is required.

However, it all hinges on any change of external appearance, and if the windows are exact like-for-like replacements, then it is maintenance not development and can be done without planning permission.

Sponsored Links
Are timber sash dg units out of the question? They look about a million times better than what you've got in mind I suspect.

I had my flat windows exchanged last year and yes my borough Ealing insisted on a full planning application,the application was all done by the window installation company.
The large window replacement firms whom visited and quoted for me never mentioned planning permission,so I could have been left with a serious problem.a local company did my windows and all the council application. took 8 weeks for council to reply,thou.
Reason is something to do with no permitted development allowed for flats,flats differ from houses when it comes to planning and many so called experts don't know that fact. it could be 2 flats in one building (my case) or 200 flats in one building.

Woody above has nailed it for you already,hope this helps.

hi guys,

Thanks massively for all your input.
There is no issue with the flat being in a conservation area, something the council have been able to tell me.

Having done some searching around I have found this information - http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/planning-...windows-guide#replacing-the-windows-in-a-flat

This to my implies that whilst the outside appearance will remain the same, due to the fact that I am changing the material then I do indeed need to apply for planning.

What's your thoughts?

Do most people on here try and go through the planning process themselves or find a professional to do this?

It seems with Lambeth council they have scrapped any possible free planning advice in favour of a paid for pre-plannning application piece which costs about £120. So yes it definitely seems that money is the factor!

Thanks,
Peter

Don't bother with a pre-app. Just submit a householder planning application. It's a very simple form, so you can do it yourself. Include a drawing or photo of what you have, and what you want to replace it with. You can do it all via the Planning Portal: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back