channelling conduit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning on channelling holes for electrics. What conduit do I need to use ?

it is mains cable 2.5mm, on a ring so needs to carry two wires

Sponsored Links
Just phoned him now, he said its fine to do what I said but he was not very clear on what to run through wall,

He just said plastic conduit will do. Is there any someone can recommend? Also any places to get some cheap?

Sponsored Links
So in the space of an hour you've gone from this:

Hello – I have purchased an ex council house and all the wiring is all running through conduit.

As the consumer unit needs changing, my plan is to change the mains ring circuit. 1 up stairs and 1 downstairs.

Would I be aloud to chase all the holes and sockets myself, also run the cable ready between each hole? Then get an electrician in to connect all up?

Electricians round here are expensive so am trying to do a lot myself
You will need to get the electrician on-board first so he can tell you how much he will let you do.
Thank you. So it is up to him, hot much i can do ?

to having found an electrician, discussed the work required, and agreed with him how much of it he will be happy for you to do and still sign documents to say that he'd been responsible for it, and established a relationship where you can phone him with queries about the work?

There is no electrician, is there.

Yes, this electrician is a friend of a friend. He visited to look at just changing consumer unit on weekend. He agreed that if I also run a cooker cable to box he would connect that too.

I have since decided to do what i said. So i just phoned him, and he has also agreed i do as much as i can and he will connect all up.

why is this hard to believe ? He said, I do not need permission off an electrician to channel holes. Also running cable through floor board connecting each hole I should also not need permission anyway.

He said, I do not need permission off an electrician to channel holes. Also running cable through floor board connecting each hole I should also not need permission anyway.
I being the person responsible for the Design, Construction, Inspection & Testing of the electrical installation (as indicated by my signature below), particulars of which are described above, having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the Design, Construction, Inspection & Testing, hereby CERTIFY that the said work for which I have been responsible is to the best of my knowledge and belief in accordance with BS 7671:2008, amended to .............(date) except for the departures, if any, detailed as follows.

Unfortunately, if you put two x 2.5mm² T&E cables through the same conduit then neither is still rated at 20A so it doesn't meet the requirements.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back