conduit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello there,

i am currently attempting to channel two cables behind plaster to a light switch. i have a conduit but it is too small for both the cables, it is however the perfect fit for the channel that i have chiselled. im going to slit the conduit so it fits both cables and plaster over it. that will be alright wont it ?

mny tks

Sponsored Links
marco77 said:
hello there,

i am currently attempting to channel two cables behind plaster to a light switch. i have a conduit but it is too small for both the cables, it is however the perfect fit for the channel that i have chiselled. im going to slit the conduit so it fits both cables and plaster over it. that will be alright wont it ?

mny tks

No. Use a larger conduit and chisel out the channel to accomodate the new conduit. Would you use diesel in your petrol car?

thanks for the reply - i can understand why deisal in a petrol cr wont work but why wont the small conduit work ?

Sponsored Links
marco77 said:
hello there,

mny tks

This defeats many of the points of conduit:

1. by slitting it, plaster will be able to touch the cables, which may cause pvc to deteriorate

2. You wont be able to pull new cables through in the future, for the friction between the plaster and cable will hold the old cable in place.

3. by cramming cables into conduit like that, they may need to be de-rated, since they can't dissipate heat as efficiently.

marco77 said:
thanks for the reply - i can understand why deisal in a petrol cr wont work but why wont the small conduit work ?

If that is your reply to good and accurate advice, then you should not be doing the work.

Might I suggest a professional?

FFS - he only wanted to understand the reason(s) behind the advice he was given....

thank you ban-all-sheds, and thank you crafty for providing said reasons.

Would it be possible to have less helpful replies??

Am I not right in thinking, that depending on the location, you don't even need to put cables in conduit you can just plaster over them?

arctic said:
Would it be possible to have less helpful replies??

Am I not right in thinking, that depending on the location, you don't even need to put cables in conduit you can just plaster over them?

From the OSG:
Where a cable is concealed in a wall or partition at a depth of less than 50mm from any surface it must be enclosed in earthed metal conduit (trunking or ducting) or installed either horizontally within 150mm of the top of the wall or partition or vertically within 150mm of the angle formed by two walls, or run horizontally or vertically to an accessory or consumer unit.
4.14b.gif

Thats what I meant.

So if the wiring is either horizontal or Vertical to the accessory (light switch) then it can be buried in plaster with no additional protection.

So the original poster has no problem with what he is considering doing (wether its best practice is another matter, but he asked if it would be ok).

Kev

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back