Oval conduit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to replace some of the ground floor ring final circuit as it is old white cable. Some parts have steel conduit pipes that was plastered in the wall thats about 15mm diam, if I replaced this with two 20mm pvc oval conduit - approx 500mm in length on both legs to be plastered over would this cause problems with cable derating?

Conduit makes sense for easy replacement in future but some people prefer to clip direct

Can you use oval conduit using dot dab? or should I just clip direct?

Sponsored Links
Entirely up to you. I wouldn't worry about derating for the sake of the 0.5m or so you're going to use.

I've used oval conduit in the past where I wanted the option to perhaps replace the cable, but it's usually just capping

I'm sure you know this but please check if the original steel conduit is the earth for the circuit.
You'll need to make suitable arrangements if it is!

Sponsored Links
I want to replace some of the ground floor ring final circuit
Why?

as it is old white cable.
So?

Please tell us how old it is, and why the age, and also particularly why the colour, means it needs replacing. What are the IR readings for it?

Some parts have steel conduit pipes that was plastered in the wall thats about 15mm diam, if I replaced this with two 20mm pvc oval conduit - approx 500mm in length on both legs to be plastered over would this cause problems with cable derating?
Is the conduit the cpc?

Is it providing necessary mechanical protection given where the cables are?

I want to replace some of the ground floor ring final circuit as it is old white cable. Some parts have steel conduit pipes that was plastered in the wall thats about 15mm diam, if I replaced this with two 20mm pvc oval conduit - approx 500mm in length on both legs to be plastered over would this cause problems with cable derating?

Conduit makes sense for easy replacement in future but some people prefer to clip direct

Can you use oval conduit using dot dab? or should I just clip direct?

You know that you can get white twin and earth right? It's a low smoke zero halogen version.

What does your cable look like?

You know that you can get white twin and earth right? It's a low smoke zero halogen version.
And even if it's the regular non-harmonised stuff, it might only be 10-odd years old.

We really do need the OP to explain how he gets from "it is old white cable" to thinking it needs replacing.

It does make me laugh when people talk about old cable needing to be replaced. The Imperial stranded tinned PVC was much better quality than the crap we have today.

Be that as it may, I can't help but observe that messimagician seems unable to explain himself.

Be that as it may, I can't help but observe that messimagician seems unable to explain himself.
You can't really say that, since he is probably unaware of any request to 'explain himself' ...
messimagician was last seen: Sunday at 7:43 PM
... which, AFAICS, was about 4 hours before you posed the question to which you are looking for an answer.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back