oval conduit question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can see that using oval conduit would make pulling through a replacement cable easier, but do you run 1 cable per conduit, or more? How do you pass from conduit into the back box? How do you clip & how many clips per length?
Sorry for so many questions, but until now I ave always just clipped direct & plastered over.
If conduit is going to be a better way of doing things, then that is the way I will do it (not sure why i never thought of it before!)
1 more thing, I take it you only use if for runs in walls/plaster, not underneath joists or above ceilings?

please note 20 your post has been split

Sponsored Links
Dom71 said:
I can see that using oval conduit would make pulling through a replacement cable easier, but do you run 1 cable per conduit, or more?
Good question.

Read this, and tell us if you can decide... http://www.iee.org/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=205&threadid=5365

How do you pass from conduit into the back box?
I use these:

56462BLK.JPG

http://www.mkelectric.co.uk/products/item.asp?itemid=6134&rangeid=1031

but I was lucky to buy a bunch on eBay for a piddling sum. They are push-fit Masterseal 20mm round conduit adapters, but they are soft, and the top part deforms to admit oval conduit while the bottom remains round and acts as a grommet through the K/O in the box.

Alternatively you can warm the end of the conduit and squash it into a round profile so that it slips through the K/O.

How do you clip & how many clips per length?
Sorry for so many questions, but until now I ave always just clipped direct & plastered over.
If you are plastering over you don't need to clip - as long as you can keep it from springing out of the chase it'll be fine. Will you be chasing by hand, or with a machine of some sort?

If conduit is going to be a better way of doing things, then that is the way I will do it (not sure why i never thought of it before!)
You're not alone..

1 more thing, I take it you only use if for runs in walls/plaster, not underneath joists or above ceilings?
Yup - no point to it except in walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back