Fixing plaster over conduit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How is the best way to attatch plaster over conduit (not oval) to a block wall?

Tried
Double sided tape-not much good :confused:
Gripfill- Still picking it off my fingers :cry:
Cable clips seemed to do the job, but several of the walls have been tanked with Thoroseal so hammering in cable clips cant be done!:rolleyes:

Anyone got any better ideas?

Thanks

David

Sponsored Links
David, can you clarify that question? Are you trying to plaster over conduit, or fix conduit onto a plastered wall?

Im wanting to fix the conduit (capping?)
__`````` __
``\_____/ shaped )
to a bare block wall.

David

the normal way of fixing that stuff is with capping nails

can't really use those on a wall you can't nail into though

Sponsored Links
Tanking nails. The Galvanised ones used by roofers. They can be bought as short as 20mm or as long as 75mm. I would suggest those about 25-30mm long would be sufficient.

They will hold the conduit back to the wall so long as the cable has been installed in a way so as not to push the conduit off the wall.

I would suggest the perhaps a small line of gripfill be used on each side to ensure cohesion.

Wot's a capping nail look like? Does it look like a 1.0mm T+E cable clip?

David

David E, The type of nails FWL_Engineer mentioned are light grey in colour, have a head about 8-10mm in diameter and the nail body is about 3-4 mm in diameter. If you look in somewhere like B&Q they will be called Roofing or Roofers nails.

Thanks for your help. Just out of interest I found these http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/Products/size_3/SCNAIL.JPG
As I didn't have any the afore mentioned 1.0mm T&E clips worked, but I will try to get some of the proper ones tomorrow. As to the wall that I cannot nail into because of the waterproofing I will try double sided radon tape tomorrow when I was sticking the DPM down I remember it stuck like the proverbial sh1t to the blanket so hope that this is better than the double sided tape I tried first. But if anyone knows of a better tape please let me know.

Thanks again

David

By thats clever. I did purposfully mispell s@@t and when I previewed it the auto censoring changed it to s**t!!!!!!

if the wall is too hard to nail, drill a 5.5/6mm hole and put red wall plug in. hammer nail to side of plug

I can't nail into the wall as I have painted a cement based waterproofing slurry onto it and any nails driven through this into the wall would break the continuity of the dampproofing.

David

David E said:
I can't nail into the wall as I have painted a cement based waterproofing slurry onto it and any nails driven through this into the wall would break the continuity of the dampproofing.

David

well er... your ****ed!

if the plaster is hard, try hammerin the nail into the plaster up against the brick, so the nail is between the plaster and brick.

Thanks for your replies. Sorted it with some radon tape which is really sticky and fixed the capping strip very well.

David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back