Fixing wire to block wall prior to plastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fix a stiff earth wire to another block wall prior to the wall being plastered. The house is 1960s.

What is the best way to do this please?

I imagine that run of the mill cable clips are not substantial enough to hammer into building blocks, and I don't know if its sensible to have plastic clips under plaster.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
block wall, what type of block is it?
Plastic clips are okay to be used, to hold cable in place prior to plastering.
You could use capping or oval conduit or even fix the cable in place using dry wall adhesive.

Personally i'd put it under some capping, you can screw the capping on or nail it with capping pins (which can be little so and sos). if the blocks are very hard you can get pin plugs from your local electrical wholesaler (normally in a box of 100, but very cheap) they are like mini rawlplugs for cable clip pins.

Thanks. Where would I buy capping from, what does it look like, and what's the full name please?

Is it possible to buy for example plastic conduit that a DIYer could use?

Sorry, I don't know what kind of block it is.

Sponsored Links
All wholesalers carry capping, Wilts, Newey&Eyre, CEF, Denmans, Edmundsons etc etc, or screw-fix, B&Q very common.

Capping is its name, it is either metal or plastic (i'd go for plastic) the plastic stuff is white, it resembles a shallow gutter with wide edges which sits over the cables to protect them, either nailed or screwed in place

Best

Tony

You don't need capping for a "stiff earth wire". Just use galvanised large-head 50mm clout nails to hold it in position prior to plasterng.

Lucia.

There's quite a difference between 'concealing' an earthing conductor in a wall and concealing a 'live' cable.......

Lucia.

I beg to differ.

What's the result of nailing or drilling through a conductor such as this?

How will capping help that eventuality, securepark?

Lucia.

Are you really saying that a buried main bonding cable or even a main earthing lead has to be covered with pathetic plastic capping or puny galvanised steel, to protect it from a drill bit?

It surely goes without saying that any buried cable should run in a recognised zone, but that doesn't mean that it needs capping or coverering in any way.

Lucia.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back