CHARGE FOR LAYING LAMINATE FLOORING

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been asked by someone I know to install some laminate flooring for them. I've laid it a few times, but never been paid to do it. Here are the areas they want done and the dimensions.

Entrance porch - 1660mm x 1110mm
Toilet - 1720mm x 740mm
Hallway - 3940mm x 1130mm

Not big areas but a bit of cutting to do.
I will also need to lay the underlay and fit the finishing trim all round too.
What would be reasonable price to charge considering I'm not a pro, but I can do a nice job? Timescale a weekend? I'm sure it's a day's work for a pro, but what with all the cutting etc I don't want to end up taking too long.
To work out the amount to buy, can I just add all the dimensions together and imagine it's one room? Does it still work out the same?
Your advice will be much appreciated. Thanks :D

Sponsored Links
iirc the standard stuff comes in 1200mm lengths.

i used to jump at the chance of laying this stuff,NOT ANYMORE.hate it especially when theres too many cuts to deal with or its not laying correctly :evil:
but yeah give yourself 2 days im sure that should be enogh time,and if you finish any earlier either bunce for you or give your customer a bit of a refund.

Hi Grifter,
Looking at the dimensions of the room:-

Entrance Porch - 1.84sq metres
Toilet - 1.27 sq metres
Hallway - 4.45 sq metres

I charge £9 per square metre to fit laminate, and charge 50p per metre to fit the trim if the customer doesn't want me to take the skirting off.
For fitting the laminate itself, that comes to £68.04

Depending on what cuts and wastage you have, it is better to treat each room individually so I would add an extra metre on to it, or round it up to 9 sq. metres. It is best to leave some spare boards for the customer in case they need to replace any in the future.

Will you be removing the toilet and basin to slide the laminate underneath or cut around it and seal with sealant after?

Are there lots of doors coming off the hallway, and will doors need to be trimmed down depending on thickness of laminate/underlay?

How long it takes you will depend on your experience and the type/brand of laminate being fitted. Some brands are a complete pain to lock together.

Without looking at what's involve, I can only give you a guide on what to charge. Hope it helps

Thanks for the advice. I won't need to trim doors, but I will look at sliding the laminate under the toilet. Also, I had 2 days in mind, but I'm won't be as fast as a pro obviously, but £68 for 2 days work is not much is it. I was thinking of charging around £140? Too much or too little?

Sponsored Links
Too little, I would want at least that for one days work regardless of what I was doing

I think £240 is nearer the mark, small areas are more time consuming than large rooms. A room 4 times the square meterage would only take 1/2 a day to do.

£240! lol

So they can get a pro in who would do a top job, prob charge £100/£120, and be finished in a day, or a DIYer that will take 2 days and charge £240. Poor customer!

fitters rate for laminate flooring.. ?
i was given a price a few weeks ago for £50 per m2 and having 60m2 + to lay i was kinda thinking i can do it myself.
he was a mate of a mate and if thats mates rates, i would hate for him to charge full price lol

I agree with Keilo. I would be looking at about £100 to fit the laminate, beading, door threshold bars, etc. Wouldn't take more than a day

£50 per m2!!! I think I need to up my prices abit. lol

hey Mr Vampy

yeah i recon your right, either that or mates rates are not what they used to be lol.

i only replied to this before as i thought this was a rather recent blog, but it is ages old.

Hi JayHS,
You mean this thread is old? It was only posted on Tuesday. lol. So I take it you didn't go with your mate's mate in the end to have it fitted for you? You DIY or got someone else to do it?

oh yeah.. i think i was looking at the dates of when you and others became a members (next to your name it shows that date) and I had a bad blonde moment at the same time lol.

but yes £50 2m for laying the flooring. on top of the cost of the laminate and the underlay and so on.
some mate.. i even offered to assist him too to keep costs down

so i have decided to do it meself

so you didn't fancy parting with £3k then? lol. Don't know where you are based, but I would have quoted about £600, and I'm not even a mate. lol

Sounds like it would be doable in a day for a pro, or 1.5/2 days for a competent DIYer/mate. Around London I'd expect to pay £150 to £200 for this. On mates rates I'd expect £120, but if it takes you 1.5 days...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back