Chase cables into wall that are currently housed in trunking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
don’t really know any sparks so hopefully i can get some advice please. I’ve just bought a house and all the sockets aren’t sunk into the wall and the cable is the same all ran in pvc trunking around the whole house. Looks like there’s been a rewire as mostly new cable’s but i want to chase them all into the wall and then just fit new back boxes with new faceplates. I’m a brickie so confident in the chasing and fitting the back box’s but just wanted to know if I’m allowed to wire all the plugs and sockets back up myself. I wouldn’t be changing anything just putting them back where they were originally.
Fully aware of zones and how cables run as i work on site and see where/how cables are run at 1st fix but just want clarification that i am allowed to do this under regs.
Attached a few pics to this post.
Would appreciate any advice or tips.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0330.jpeg
    IMG_0330.jpeg
    210.7 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0331.jpeg
    IMG_0331.jpeg
    259.3 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0329.jpeg
    IMG_0329.jpeg
    326.2 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0321.jpeg
    IMG_0321.jpeg
    311.9 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0322.jpeg
    IMG_0322.jpeg
    263.7 KB · Views: 96
Sponsored Links
Yes you are, but you need to make sure all the sockets are protected by an rcd if buried in the walls

This is what I assume is the original fuse board, i was getting a spark in to replace with a new consumer unit, i presume that will have the relevant rcd’s & mcb’s so that the sockets i install will be protected?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Unsure what it is as I can’t read what he has written in the top right corner but something along the line of “under bath”

Was hoping someone could tell me what it is. Not got the keys yet to check under the bath but no electric shower so not sure what it could be.

Attachments

• IMG_0323.jpeg
    IMG_0323.jpeg
    407.1 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0325.jpeg
    IMG_0325.jpeg
    298.5 KB · Views: 84
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Unsure what it is as I can’t read what he has written in the top right corner but something along the line of “under bath”

Was hoping someone could tell me what it is. Not got the keys yet to check under the bath but no electric shower so not sure what it could be.
Looks like a mcb for a lift. The wording looks like it explains the water supply is bonded under the bath. Strange place, but old wiring regs.

Looks like a mcb for a lift. The wording looks like it explains the water supply is bonded under the bath. Strange place, but old wiring regs.
no lift in the property mate, probably a stupid question for you but why is the water supply bonded?

• Thanks
why is the water supply bonded?
'Bonded' in this case means 'joined electrically' thus ensuring that there is no potential difference (voltage) between the pipes and therefore the connected metal taps.

I would assume that your water supply does not enter your premises under the bath so the 'main bonding' will be somewhere else such as under the kitchen sink.

'Bonded' in this case means 'joined electrically' thus ensuring that there is no potential difference (voltage) between the pipes and therefore the connected metal taps.

I would assume that your water supply does not enter your premises under the bath so the 'main bonding' will be somewhere else such as under the kitchen sink.
Thank you for explaining that mate, really helpful

• Thanks
The CU is in the region of 40 years old, and much of the cabling probably the same.

You would do well to have an electrician inspect it and provide a written report before you start tinkering

Though it may be better value to just fit entire new from scratch.

Try to find an independent local electrician who will co-operate with you chasing out the walls and backboxes beforehand, and making good afterwards. There are a few points you need to know, like routes and grommets, and the modern height. I favour mortaring the boxes into position, which I'm sure you can do, better and quicker. It is much easier in an empty house before you move in.

I once rewired a whole house using surface trunking and boxes.
Why?
Because the existing wiring was old, damage and potentially dangerous and the nephew in charge did not want me to disturb much and not to lift floorboards throughout, almost, the whole of the house, old rotted carpets, piles of junk etc etc. he wanted a minimum of upheaval for his old aunt and just a technically compliant safe job to last her days out.
Fair enough, I did as he asked.
I later used that job on my annual snake and mongoose event (CPS annual survey) and I explained to the assessor the whys and wherefores of such. He said it was the sensible option for the considerations.

One bit I did note however. Since my visit a plumbing/heating bod had done a CH system in a similar manner. OK so far.
However, I had left a switched fused connection unit ready for the boiler.

I was a bit gobsmacked when I saw his connection to the boiler and my assessor saw it too. He did realise it was not of my doing.

The SFCU was of the type that the flex could enter by a removeable lug - some had a lug that could be nibbled away and some a piece you could slide out - this one was the slide out type. Simple. Oh No.
Apparently the heating chap had not realised this feature and so had sawn a corner of the front plate (including part of the cord grip) and put the flex into the unit with no restraint against tugging and enough space to get you finger in.

Oh deary me - A few days later I replaced the unit free of charge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back