Chase cables into wall that are currently housed in trunking

The CU is in the region of 40 years old, and much of the cabling probably the same.

You would do well to have an electrician inspect it and provide a written report before you start tinkering

Though it may be better value to just fit entire new from scratch.

Try to find an independent local electrician who will co-operate with you chasing out the walls and backboxes beforehand, and making good afterwards. There are a few points you need to know, like routes and grommets, and the modern height. I favour mortaring the boxes into position, which I'm sure you can do, better and quicker. It is much easier in an empty house before you move in.
Thanks again for the advice, there is some new cable in the property (where it has been installed with trunking) but according the the survey there is also older but I don’t mind getting it replaced with new cable while I’m there. Hopefully such an electrician exists and won’t be insulted when i want to do 90% of the work and pay him to finish the job.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, looking at the pictures, Its not so much that its been re-wired in trunking, as there is a load of extra sockets in trunking, you certainly could not follow exactly the same path with the chopping in cables (along skirting), and while in many cases you could go directly horizonal, theres probably a few where you couldn't and it wouldn't be that sensible either unless <1m.

Given that you plan to chase the scokets in anyway, and this is an old cirucit that has been extended from probably very few original sockets, it would make far more sense to just re-wire the cirucits in their entireity. To do otherwise would be having 90% of the work, disruption, mess and cost for a result thats very much inferior, probably limits further alterations, and make already come with issues baked into it.

As has been siad that board is likely at least 40 Years old and the cabling will be too. The existing alterations are pre 17th edition (2008) or have been done later in a non compliant manner. The designation of lift on the additonal board with a test date of 2014, suggests that the property was likely occupied by an older person, and a stairlift was fitted in 2014, and they have now for whatever reason moved out and the lift has been removed, the wiring probably dates from the late 70s and they may have got it re-wired when they moved in, and through the years the sparse provision of sockets which was standard in those days have been supplimented by additions of various quality.

Yeah, looking at the pictures, Its not so much that its been re-wired in trunking, as there is a load of extra sockets in trunking, you certainly could not follow exactly the same path with the chopping in cables (along skirting), and while in many cases you could go directly horizonal, theres probably a few where you couldn't and it wouldn't be that sensible either unless <1m.

Given that you plan to chase the scokets in anyway, and this is an old cirucit that has been extended from probably very few original sockets, it would make far more sense to just re-wire the cirucits in their entireity. To do otherwise would be having 90% of the work, disruption, mess and cost for a result thats very much inferior, probably limits further alterations, and make already come with issues baked into it.

As has been siad that board is likely at least 40 Years old and the cabling will be too. The existing alterations are pre 17th edition (2008) or have been done later in a non compliant manner. The designation of lift on the additonal board with a test date of 2014, suggests that the property was likely occupied by an older person, and a stairlift was fitted in 2014, and they have now for whatever reason moved out and the lift has been removed, the wiring probably dates from the late 70s and they may have got it re-wired when they moved in, and through the years the sparse provision of sockets which was standard in those days have been supplimented by additions of various quality.

Thanks for the advice mate, i wasn’t going to run the cables via skirting i was going to run them under the floorboard and up to the new points but I completely understand what you are saying.

I’ve got a spark lined up to install the new consumer unit, I’ve also been given two 100m reels of t&e from a spark on site.
Would it be cheeky to run the cables myself and ask the spark to connect them up or would that be taking it a step to far?

Just trying to save on labour cost as i feel like 90% of the work would be routing the cables under floorboards and down to the new board etc.

Thanks again for the advice really appreciate how helpful everyone on here has been.

I’ve got a spark lined up to install the new consumer unit, I’ve also been given two 100m reels of t&e from a spark on site.
Would it be cheeky to run the cables myself and ask the spark to connect them up or would that be taking it a step to far?
Very likely to be a bad idea unless agreed in advance

Just trying to save on labour cost as i feel like 90% of the work would be routing the cables under floorboards and down to the new board etc.

Best thing to do would be have it quoted on the basis that boxes will be chopped in, rooms emptied and boards lifted prior to first fix, and that I'll be fully plastered prior to calling him back for second fix

Sponsored Links
Very likely to be a bad idea unless agreed in advance

Best thing to do would be have it quoted on the basis that boxes will be chopped in, rooms emptied and boards lifted prior to first fix, and that I'll be fully plastered prior to calling him back for second fix

Just thinking about saving time and money, only have a few weeks turn around until we need to move in and the spark i know is a busy one like most i assume so trying to kill two birds with one stone.

When you say second fix electrics is that just connected up the sockets or is there testing involved once all sockets and switches are installed?

Just my luck to buy a house that needs a new roof, new windows and now finding out possibly a re-wire

If you're putting in a modern installation, with a large number of sockets (at modern height) spread all around the rooms

And even more in the kitchen, 150mm or 200mm above the worktop

It's quick, easy and economical to chase all along the wall, rather than up, down and under the floor.

Hopefully I’ll have more pics to post on here next week when i get the keys so i can explain it clearer.

I’ll be honest mate i was hoping to terminate some sockets as the main bedroom has 6 double sockets in it and it’s not exactly a big room so it’s unnecessary in my opinion, kitchen is the only room in the house that has sockets that are in backbox’s so that’s one less room to worry about.

the small bedroom thats in the pics I originally attached has 4 double sockets in it so I intend to remove or terminate two in that room to.
Again I appreciate any advice and don’t intend to insulate any sparks on here. Trying to stay in my lane as a brickie

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back