chasing the walls after a rewire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi im new to all this diy and would appreciate a step by step notes on how to fill in the chases from what brand of bonding to use. From reading the forms im a have a bit of an idea on what to do. I will be getting a plaster to rescim afterwards more like a week afterwards I have finished chasing the walls.
From reading is this whats required by bonding and fill the chases to flush then sand maybe use some sort of tape then resand?
Any help would be great
Thanks
Stuart

Sponsored Links
Hi Stu,

by the sounds of you are having the whole wall re-skimmed?

if so, wet down the chases and fill flush with thistle bonding coat, once it has set to a cheese like consistency, devil scratch the surface with horizontal lines (you can just use a nail, not too deep, 3mm)

when the plasterer comes to skim he'll need to wet down the bonding you have put in in order to control suction and he MIGHT apply so skrim tape along the edges before skimming.

if you aren't having whole wall skimmed then when bonding has gone cheesy, you need to 'cut-bacl' 3mm of bonding with your trowel, (scrape it out) so that you have room for some multi finish or easifill.

so i wet down the chase first then put the bonding nix in then when it goes cheesy run 3 lines down it (is this what you mean by devil). I will be needed to rescim a 7m by 4m room but will not be doing this myself will need to find a plasterer for this but thought id give the chasing a go.

Sponsored Links
just doing my bit when i have the chance AR! ;)

we've gotta keep this ship a sailing while the likes of Rich C are away, RC quiet this week too, busy working hopefully, though if he's having your weather :confused:

Stu

Horizontal lines across the chases not vertical, about an inch apart and 3mm deep.

the plasterer will do the rest mate

ok got the lines idea do i wet the chase before i start filling them in are you interested in giving an idea on what a re scim would cost 7x4m room with windows and doors along one of the 7m walls
cheers

If the rest of the wall is OK then there's no need for a complete re-skim. You can blend the skim coat in.

wet down the chases and fill flush with thistle bonding coat

Would a bit of 5:1 Water/PVA be an alternative to just wetting?

The PVA would help strengthen the existing plaster edge & also bond the new Bonding against the existing plaster.

(I've tried patching bits like this before and didn't wet or anything first. Wasn't I surprised when it all cracked and some bits ended up loose! :oops: )
(so make sure you do some prep surfingmace)

The odd little mishap helps the learning process me thinks....but not too often! ;)

yes SM wet before you fill, really quite wet!

PVA could do the job too DIYNewbie i agree but suspect SM has none kicking around and would need the sealer coat the day before and then a tack coat when filling, wetting thoroughly should be ample in my modest opinion, after all bonding and hardwall are made for this kinda work, agree you do have to be careful where bonding is concerned as it doesn't like high suction and WILL crack, had this happen too myself a while back :oops: lesson learnt ;)

regarding cost SM, sounds like quite a substantial room, a rough guide is around £400 for a room but would need to look at it before committing to it.

out of interest where in oxfordshire are you?

P.S. as joe says, if the rest of the wall is ok there i sno need for a complete re-skim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back