Chasing Wall Out For 15mm Copper Pipe Outdoor Tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at fitting an outdoor tap and taking the feed off the cloakroom cold supply. I don't want the pipes visible on the outside of the wall so thinking of chasing the wall out and then conceal the copper pipe behind this. Its only about 30cm worth of chasing before I get to the outside wall plasterboard but have a few concerns before getting out the multi tool...

I noticed at the corner of the wall its almost solid plaster (or glue) for about 50mm or so before getting to the corner of the wall itself - is this going to be a nightmare to cut out in order to get the pipe through to the outside? Its a newish build house approx 6 years old and not sure if Im going to come across any metal in the corners of the walls behind the plasterboard or do they just use loads of glue for the plasterboard at the corners?

I have read I need an internal double check valve and will have an isolator on this as well. I'm trying to work out the best way of getting the pipework behind the wall from the cold supply before going into the wall itself whilst having the isolator easily accessible.

Trying to work out if its worth the extra hassle all to have the pipe concealed in the wall.

Here is a picture of the wall area and the valve where the feed will be taken from. The wall on the right in the picture is the outside wall where the cold feed will go through to outside.

Thanks for looking

Attachments

• IMG_6966.JPG
    IMG_6966.JPG
    188.9 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_6965.JPG
    IMG_6965.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 264
Sponsored Links
You're wanting to chase into the exterior face? I would fully expect that to freeze in winter, then you'll have to chop it all out again. Why not just come up to the height you need behind the basin pedestal inside, then straight out of the wall into the tap?

Yes for water regulations satisfaction you will need a form of backflow prevention (double check valve) and an isolation valve, if going through the wall as per muggles, then it’ll need to be sleeved and sealed as well.

Sponsored Links
You're wanting to chase into the exterior face? I would fully expect that to freeze in winter, then you'll have to chop it all out again. Why not just come up to the height you need behind the basin pedestal inside, then straight out of the wall into the tap?

Sorry didn’t drop that bombshell - behind the wall that houses the basin is the main electric meter for the house. This is why I want to go to the wall on the right in the picture to be sure I don’t go anywhere near cables and the box itself.

Sleeved and sealed it is as well then when I go in the wall thanks for that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back