Chattering wipers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My missus has a V reg Golf (don't know which mark), and the windscreen wipers chatter like buggery.

I've scrubbed everything to within an inch of it's life (including that glass cleaner micro-abrasive stuff), changed the blades, but still no joy.

I heard someone once describe adjusting the tension on the wiper arms - is that cobblers, and if it isn't, how do you do it?

Thanks in anticipation

Sponsored Links
Just put some pliers on the wiper arm and twist it - do it in small increments, with a test after each one, until the chattering stops.

Get some rain-x too, means you don't have to use them as much (it adds a coating that repels water) and makes them run smoother. Does it do it all the time, or just at high road speeds?

Sean T

not a high speeds - pretty much all of the time.

I'm averse to Rain X - great for a short while, but makes the windscreen look worse once you do use the wipers.
Plus, it's very tempting to drive too fast (to make the raindrops move), and also to drive "blind" until your speed clears it!

Sponsored Links
are the blades old and worn out? when did you last change them?

Chatters on new blades, too - I have wondered whether a rogue stone folllowed by windscreen replacement would be a blessing :confused:

then I agree with twisting it, enough to make the rubber blade flip over at each change of direction so it is always "dragging" and never "pushing"

How long ago did you change the blades?

I've found that tree sap (especially sycamore) b***ers up new blades immediately.

Also, cheap replacement blades, as apposed to Bosch or Champion can ne just as bad.

gman76, you have a valid point. I put new blades on in may last year. Bosch. Good brand I thought. Parked it under a tree at work, bad move. Come october, MOT time, needed new blades! They fitted genuine Ford blades (lol) and they only cost £7 from main dealer! £20 from Halfords for the bosch ones! :D Oh, still going strong now after a tough winter scraping ice.

Nothing wrong with Bosch or Champion blades, they are amongst the best on the market. Your new Ford blades will be made by a company like the aforementioned. BTW I was in Tesco tonight and they are selling blades for £3 each, they looked ok too, for they price.

Check the little bit of rubber that does the job, too narrow, they will shudder, you can get very cheap, good wipers. (certain wipers are built to fit the curveture of your window)

Now halfrauds has been brought up, bought wipers for my car, could'nt get my head round it, nipped back in the shop and said, " ere, give us an hand,"

Man comes out, helps then wants £3, :evil: told him, take them back, and give me a full refund, he did, ran in the shop before me.

When i walked in, all the staff were gathered at the door, waiting for a lunatic, according to him,

anyway, went to renault, wipers cheaper and free fitting

by the way, number plates are cheaper at your dealer(try it!) with the dealer name on.

Certainly not as long as they suggest-

The Super Silicone Wiper Blade maintains a sharp, clean edge, even after 230,000 operations.As you can see, PIAA has engineered unparalleled effectiveness and streamlined operation into every blade - qualities that ensure superior performance.

I would estimate a good 40k out of a pair. I can honestly say these are the first items I buy when swapping my car. The advantage you get in poor conditions soon becomes unconscious but a trip in someone Else's car during heavy rain and the gain is all too clear!

Oh and they stopped the chattering I always got with other wipers too !

Cheers

Richard

Sponsored Links
Back