Cheap 6" inline bathroom fan?

Here's a plan.

Contact a couple of established mainstream fan makers, Xpelair, Manrose etc, and ask them what features/build quality etc their fans have which make them better than hydroponic-market ones.

At the same time, contact a couple of hydroponic makers and ask them what features/build quality etc they have sacrificed in order for them to be cheaper than the likes of Xpelair, Manrose...

Then go and buy a Soler & Palau TD500.... :mrgreen:

It's not that simple....some "hydroponic" fans are more expensive than their "bathroom" equivalent (so, hydroponics aren't necessarily cheaper). This really is a case of speculative labels marketing and prices depends on stock and shop policies - the good for us consumers is to know that the market is larger than they like us to believe....
Anyone dares to prove me wrong? (you are welcome).

Sponsored Links
It's not that simple....some "hydroponic" fans are more expensive than their "bathroom" equivalent (so, hydroponics aren't necessarily cheaper).
I thought the one(s) you were looking at were. And that that was why you were interested in them.
I'm tempted to save a bit of cash by buying an "hydroponic" (for a bathroom) which presents the same technical performance of a so labeled "bathroom" in line fan....oh, these also have the same model number (same make)....the major difference? Price - in this instance the hydroponic costs less

- if anything, the hydroponic should have more bits: a carbon filter - chuck that out and you'll get the exact match.
Then buy one and chuck the filter out.

Now, it seems to me it's all about marketing labels.....challenge that if you could (thanks).
This really is a case of speculative labels marketing and prices depends on stock and shop policies - the good for us consumers is to know that the market is larger than they like us to believe....
Anyone dares to prove me wrong? (you are welcome).
I have no idea if you are right or wrong, and I care even less. And I strongly suspect I am not alone in that.

But it doesn't make any difference. Nobody is going to change their pricing policy because you have seen through their speculative labels marketing and have had a size of market epihany. It is still going to be you taking it or leaving it.

If some "hydroponic" fans are cheaper than "bathroom" ones, and some are more expensive, what we have then is that some fans are more expensive than others. It will also be true that some will be better than others.

Here's a plan.

Contact a couple of expensive fan makers and ask them what features/build quality etc their fans have which make them better than cheap ones.

At the same time, contact a couple of cheap makers and ask them what features/build quality etc they have sacrificed in order for them to be cheaper than the expensive ones.

Then go and buy a Soler & Palau TD500.... :mrgreen:

Hi BAS: (you'll be able to argue with a brick)
"It doesn't make any difference..."
Of course it does make a difference! Buy any fan regardless of any "hydroponic" or "bathroom" labels (for a shower is different though) - that alone saves me about £6 on a bathroom fan costing £33 which can be bought at £27 with an "hydroponic" label attached to it (and I wonder how many more bargain/savings can be made with more expensive items).

Then you say: "I have no idea if you are right or wrong, and I care even less. And I strongly suspect I am not alone in that."

you wished you could prove me wrong - just you can't!! Na na na na naa

Of course it does make a difference! Buy any fan regardless of any "hydroponic" or "bathroom" labels (for a shower is different though) - that alone saves me about £6 on a bathroom fan costing £33 which can be bought at £27 with an "hydroponic" label attached to it (and I wonder how many more bargain/savings can be made with more expensive items).
What I meant was that you could do as much research as you like, canvas opinions here and on every other forum known to man, and amass as much evidence as you possibly can to show that manufacturers carry out pricing on what you term as a marketing labels basis, and that will make no difference to the prices.

And surely you must have realised that, given that what I wrote was

"But it doesn't make any difference. Nobody is going to change their pricing policy because you have seen through their speculative labels marketing and have had a size of market epihany. It is still going to be you taking it or leaving it."

you wished you could prove me wrong - just you can't!!
No - I genuinely DGAS whether you are right or wrong.

It's up to you to decide whether the failure of anybody else to prove you wrong means that they wish they could but just can't, or if they too DGAS.

Na na na na naa
Go away, you childish little twerp.

Sponsored Links
What I meant was that you could do as much research as you like, canvas opinions here and on every other forum known to man, and amass as much evidence as you possibly can to show that manufacturers carry out pricing on what you term as a marketing labels basis, and that will make no difference to the prices.

And surely you must have realised that, given that what I wrote was

"But it doesn't make any difference. Nobody is going to change their pricing policy because you have seen through their speculative labels marketing and have had a size of market epihany. It is still going to be you taking it or leaving it."

you wished you could prove me wrong - just you can't!!
No - I genuinely DGAS whether you are right or wrong.

It's up to you to decide whether the failure of anybody else to prove you wrong means that they wish they could but just can't, or if they too DGAS.

Na na na na naa
Go away, you childish little twerp.

you lousy GOF - oh....I forgot to tell you, my cat loves the new UFH I've just installed!
(let's keep this thread going - there a chance some real experts will shed some light - obviously you don't have a clue....but thanks for googling for me.... ;)

my cat loves the new UFH I've just installed!
Was that the only reason you installed it, to keep the cat happy?

obviously you don't have a clue
Not about this, no, which I freely admit.

Just as I admit that I care even less about your theory.

Quite why that makes you think that you've scored some kind of points I have no idea.

And obviously you don't have a clue about the fact that you are not going to be able to do anything about how fans are labelled, marketed and priced.

Well this is fun!

Soler & Palau TD500 is a nice looking fan, wouldnt mind one, and if I was fitting out my family home I wouldnt hasitate, but £126 is a lot more cash than £19 and although I could afford it im less sure I can justfy it on house I dont intend to live in long given it will do nothing to the resale price.

Daniel

my cat loves the new UFH I've just installed!
Was that the only reason you installed it, to keep the cat happy?

obviously you don't have a clue
Not about this, no, which I freely admit.

Just as I admit that I care even less about your theory.

Quite why that makes you think that you've scored some kind of points I have no idea.

And obviously you don't have a clue about the fact that you are not going to be able to do anything about how fans are labelled, marketed and priced.

what can we do? Ring trading standards? Dunno, but I'll pay £27 instead of £33 and ignore those silly labels - that's something (don't I deserve a "thank" for that alone?).
Not only my cat loves UFH - my naked feet too....c'mon BAS you'll never know till you try...

No thanks, - I won't try it, because I'm not an antisocial scumbag who would rather hasten people's death in order to go barefoot and not feel a chill on my poor little tootsies than wear something on them or put down a floor covering.

No thanks, - I won't try it, because I'm not an antisocial scumbag who would rather hasten people's death in order to go barefoot and not feel a chill on my poor little tootsies than wear something on them or put down a floor covering.

like what floor covering? smelly carpets infected with bacteria? Get updated, get an UFH mat, cover with tile adhesive and stick some porcelain tiles on top - can't get any better than that....

like what floor covering? smelly carpets infected with bacteria?
Or a washable mat.

Or you could try footwear.

Or you could try having a wooden floor.

Get updated, get an UFH mat, cover with tile adhesive and stick some porcelain tiles on top - can't get any better than that....
You can get a great deal less selfish than that.

Why is s o d restricted word
Must be tricky in the gardening forum if you want to talk about sods in the context of lumps of earth or turf.

SOD is also a TLA standing for Statement Of Direction.

That's the problem with auto-censoring software - it does not understand context.

That's the problem with auto-censoring software - it does not understand context.

But if even if it did, what is so bad about me saying 'its a right sod to do' 'why dont you just so d it off and do this instead' or even 'dont be a silly so d' !

Its no worse in my mind than 'fool' or maybe 'idoit' if you must.

'Berk' can be contentious, but even then all most all agree it has lost its origanal meaning, if they where aware of it in the first place.

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back