inline fan in bathroom

Another reason for condensation is the replacement air being cold and cooling the water vapour before it can be removed. If possible the replacement air should come from a warm area.

Sponsored Links
Another reason for condensation is the replacement air being cold and cooling the water vapour before it can be removed. If possible the replacement air should come from a warm area.
I imagine it usually will be 'relatively warm air' that's sucked in (from remainder of the house) - but, I would also imagine, rarely as warm as that in a room where a bath or shower has just been had.

However, is not the effect of sucking in cooler air likely to be to cause moisture to condense 'in the air', and hence fall 'as rain' onto floor, into bath, etc.? - which is probably better than condensing on cold surfaces in the room.

Kind Regards, John

I haven't read all the thread but -
the airflow just isn't strong enough to pull up the moist air before it circulates and condenses on surfaces.
Is that possible? Also, so what?
I presume that it was simply being said that if one doesn't suck the moist air out of the room quickly enough (replacing it with dry(er) air sucked in), some of the moisture from the moist atr will inevitably condense on surfaces in the room, causing 'damp and mould'. ... so, the faster one sucks out the moist air, the less will/should that happen.
To put it another way, then -

If possible, will your feet get wet?

To put it another way, then - If possible, will your feet get wet?
I guess that (unless it's heated), the floor will qualify as one of the surfaces on which non-extracted moist air will condense, but most will probably be on vertical surfaces, or ceiling.

I have to say that I often wonder how justified all the fuss about 'damp bathrooms' really is. Whilst I certainly have seen a few bathrooms with mould problems, I've also seen an awful lot (many without any extractor or other significant ventilation) which don't!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Then the warm air will cause condensation on the cool tiles/surfaces.

As long as the room dries within a reasonable time there will not be a problem (caused by the showering).

Other than a wind tunnel, what the OP wants is not possible.

I have to say that I often wonder how justified all the fuss about 'damp bathrooms' really is.
Agreed.

Whilst I certainly have seen a few bathrooms with mould problems, I've also seen an awful lot (many without any extractor or other significant ventilation) which don't!
Yes. Mine included.

I have to say that I often wonder how justified all the fuss about 'damp bathrooms' really is.
Agreed.
Whilst I certainly have seen a few bathrooms with mould problems, I've also seen an awful lot (many without any extractor or other significant ventilation) which don't!
Yes. Mine included.
... and mine! Ironically, one of the worst cases of 'mould problems' I've seen is in the bathroom of a family member who has a tiny bathroom with a pretty high powered extractor fan which extracts straight through a wall, with virtually no ducting!

Kind Regards, John

New fan has arrived so hope to fit it over the coming week. As noted elsewhere in this thread keeping either a door or window open but not both open is more likely to create a balanced flow of air, will experiment. The mould problems we've had have not been major tbh, but have been confined to the lower perimeter of the bathroom window.

I believe the current fan setup is fine for limiting somewhat the condensation build up in our bathroom during the summer. But when winter arrives and surfaces are very much colder first thing in the morning or after arriving home from work, then it becomes a problem. The fact that mould may or may not result is neither here nor there for me. What is the end goal is limiting the condensation build up in this room in the first place.

nebjamin, will update if I haven't been sucked up and consumed by this fan!

The fact that mould may or may not result is neither here nor there for me. What is the end goal is limiting the condensation build up in this room in the first place.
If it doesn't result in mould or rot, then I'm not sure that I understand what is the problem with condensation, per se, in what is essentially a 'wet room'!

Kind Regards, John

Simply clearing the condensation. And, NO its' not essentially a wet room :rolleyes:

It's a traditional bathroom not a wet-room, completely, well almost different designs.

Simply clearing the condensation. And, NO its' not essentially a wet room :rolleyes:
I classify a room with water and steam as being a 'wet room', and it neither surprises nor worries me to see condensation in it, if it's doing no harm (e.g. mould/rot) ... but I guess it's a personal thing!

Kind Regards, John

If you type in wet room in google you will get the proper idea of what a wet room looks like. The traditional bathroom and modern 'wet room' are miles apart afaic.

So your kitchen must be a wet room :eek:

:)

If you type in wet room in google you will get the proper idea of what a wet room looks like. The traditional bathroom and modern 'wet room' are miles apart afaic.
Yes, I know all that. That's why I put 'wet room' in quotes!

Kind Regards, John

Yes, I know all that. That's why I put 'wet room' in quotes!

Kind Regards, John

Anyway as long as fan does the job I'll be happy, will update.

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back