Cheap DIY CCTV or other solution criminal damage to garden wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Someone is damaging my garden wall with their van or tipper truck wheel. Seems like it happened a few times before I noticed it bricks are now loose, with multiple scuff marks.

Need CCTV (or something) to prevent this kind of thing from happening.

The trouble is I cannot see how I can train a camera on the area to catch the actual contact point (wheel and wall). People often park up on the kerb obviously they don't all damage the wall. When they leave the kerb the vehicles often jolt around so would be difficult to prove which vehicle caused the problem.

I could get close-ish adding the camera to a fence post. Or high up on the side of my house (am not good with heights though).

Sponsored Links
You can buy battery powered video cameras, which only record when motion is sensed, but obviously you would need to install it in a suitable location.

Its awkward as filming a public area has privacy issue and should confirm with the ICO regarding what is currently allowed based on your circumstances.

Its hard to say without seeing the house and the wall and the point of impact as to where it should be.

If the camera is easy accessible, then you want to make sure it can record remotely so that camera and the recording dont go missing

Sponsored Links
Its awkward as filming a public area has privacy issue and should confirm with the ICO regarding what is currently allowed based on your circumstances.

Its hard to say without seeing the house and the wall and the point of impact as to where it should be.

If the camera is easy accessible, then you want to make sure it can record remotely so that camera and the recording dont go missing

It is 'public', people often film in public without getting a signed document from every passer by giving their permission. Providing the camera doesn't peer into neighbours windows, I certainly would not have any concerns about installing a camera.

@bernardgreen the ICO are the problem and they should be consulted so you know where you stand and as its outside the property boundary GDPR does apply.

The police only care wrt privacy where you are recording inside some else's home from your cameras. Local councils may also object to CCTV cameras, although see many terraced houses with small gardens with PTZ cameras.

If GDPR is compromised the camera evidence could be dismissed, however that isn't to say that police couldn't use the footage to identify the culprit and find other means to convict.

anti social behaviour and criminal damage are two reasons perfectly legitimate reasons to film outside your home.

anti social behaviour and criminal damage are two reasons perfectly legitimate reasons to film outside your home.

Personally, were I the OP, then I would just do it - he has a good reason, providing that is his only motive and it doesn't look in neighbours windows - no problem, who is going to complain.

Equally, the OP could just put up a CCTV in operation notice, but not install CCTV - as a simple deterrent.

You would be surprised of how many do complain, no issues with legitimate reason, lots of people don't complain.

a customer had people knocking there wall down with cars hitting it and the people not reporting the incident and driving off, camera up and they now don't walk away without reporting it but they still hit the wall.

I've got camera's all around my house, the council came round and ask to look at my system, I told him to pi$$ off. (that was 4 years ago)

Cameras still in place!!

Andy

someone complained then?

probably didn't see it as problem whilst looking round from outside

Local police and council have both seen and used our cctv of the road, and been very grateful.

But this isn't a case for cctv. If vehicles are driving over the kerb they are breaking the law and probably causing damage to that as well as your wall.

In your place I would be making this a formal issue with the local Council to have the kerb raised and/or a bollard fitted. Get your Councillor round to see it - there are elections coming up.

Think the issue is parking up in the street sounds like its tight.

putting a bollard or raising the kerb may cause other issues but a good idea to prevent parking, in a wagon though it would probably need to be a bollard, as they have better clearance than most cars so raised kerb might not be effective.

best time to contact your councillor for sure

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back