Cheap garage improvement ...

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to convert my garage into a more comfortable home gym. I do not want to spend a fortune (I don't have one!).

Currently it has concrete floor, one shared wall with neighbour that is breeze blocks, brick outer, standard garage door and a side door. Roof is pitched.

My thoughts are that the most important job is to cover the ceiling joists and maybe throw up some basic insulation. Then put down some sort of insulation on the floor - nothing major, I was thinking heavy duty rubber matting so I can throw weights around without worry about waking the kids & neighbours.

I have been looking at solid insulation boards (Celutex etc) and wondering if I should put these down and/or on the walls.

I have used the garage as a gym in the past but realise that in winter I am put off because it is freezing. I have an electric fire in there (with surround - I removed it from my lounge to make way for a larger tele). That does warm the garage up but take about 20 minutes on 2000W and I am sure this is wasting a lot of energy in the process. And it is still a bit chilly.

I guess the door is another major issue. I wish to keep it, but ideally insulate a bit as well. A thick floor will automatically help cover the gap at the bottom of the door.

I am on a super tight budget, so only really cheap ideas please. If I had a few thousand pounds knocking about I would get it done properly, but I dont.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't bother with heavy duty matting - I use some old wide tyres for dumping weights onto if needed. I will buy some bumper plates in the future, but until then I find the tyres handy. You can also batter them with a sledge hammer for a workout.

I don't bother with heating either - a few mins into a workout and I'm hot enough already. I would rather spend the money on some more equipment.

Check out www.rosstraining.com for some diy gym hints etc.

Yeah, I am a wimp though. I know that part of the reason I stopped using the garage was because it was freezing in the winter. I'd hate going out there in the cold. Want to make it a bit cosier and more inviting.

Sponsored Links
Infrared heating will warm you rather than the room. Have you thought of investing in one of those 1300W halogen heater that pubs put outside to keep the smoker warm? You'll only need to run it while you're standing under it and, once you've started excercising, you can turn it off.

Ask a commercial carpet fitter if he can find you a length of faulty or damaged carpet for the floor. Use underlay - you could stick it on the inside of the garage door too. Stick posters of "fit women" on the walls and I'm sure you'll have enough motivation and comfort to work out in the winter!! ;)

How about putting in some cheap carpet and a space heater? Or a propane heater if you don't have electricity out there.

Depends how tight your budget is. I really like being frugal, but am happy to spend top whack for quality when its needed.

I use online peer to peer buying sites or keep looking for a local building projects.

You want to "buy" or simply ask for their off cuts of insulation for the garage door. You can always cover it with 3mm ply for a nicer finish. Or use it in the roof and top it up with loose fill or rockwool. if you can get carpet like the other poster suggests, some for the floor, but also you can do the walls! Cover the door with carpet, it will help hid it.
In the old days, loft insulation was newspapers, but then there is a fire issue (plus mice like to live in it) so be careful with what you use!
Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back