drylining single skin garage wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

moving house in a couple of months, and i work from home as a sports massage therapist.

My new place of work is going to be my new single (detatched) garage.

I am going to put two velux windows in (each either side of the roof) The garage is NOT a flat roof.

Obviosuly, i need to insulate and board the room.

What i plan on doing is this:

- fixing timber (2 by 2's) to the wall at 600mm centres?
- putting insukation inbetween the timber frame
- plasterboarding and skimming

My main queries are with the garage door, and the insulation in the garage

I need to keep the garage door as it is, so i will be insulating the back of the garage door - there is a side door to the garage from the garden.

1. What insulation should i affix to the back of the garage door - and how do i attach it?
2. What insulation would you use inbetween the timber on the internal garage walls?
3. what insulation would you use in the roof?

4. I understand i need a bit of a ventilation inbetween the wall and the insulation - how do i achieve this?

5. In regards to the flooring, what would you do in order to achieve a decent temperature flooring - it is currently concrete. My end result is to have a laminate floor.

Edit: my source of heat will be a plug in heater

thanks for your input

Mark

Sponsored Links
You don't need ventilation between the wall and the insulation, but you need a vapour control layer to stop moisture getting through to the cold wall. As such, you want a small air gap behind the insulation so 2x2 battens wont work. Ideally, you'd put 4x2s on the wall, and have 75mm of cellotex to keep the room warm, and use alliminumum tape to seal any joints in the cellotex, and then fill any gaps down the edge of the battens with expanding foam; then you'd plasterboard it. As to the garage door, you have a problem there unless you seal behind the door to stop any draughts or moisture getting in. It might be best to lay a moisture barrier against the garage door, then build a stud wall in front of it, and then put the cellotex in between the studs. do you have any spare height between the door and the floor, or do you step straight in to it. If you've got some height, then I'd put down 25mm of cellotex, and then 18mm chipboard glued along the edges to create a floating floor, but I'd go for cushion vinyl rather than laminate, as that's always going to be cold.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back