Cheap garden wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I need some inital pointers on creating a garden wall about 0.5 m high by 5m long. I initially looked at getting bricks which looked really nice but the cost is way too much. Next thought - build the wall out of the cheapest brick I can find then apply a finish of some description. I suppose I could masonary paint ontop of the brick but I dont think that would look good - so some kind of cement or lime? coating then paint might do the trick. I just need some direction so I can go and do my own research. I'd like a colour in my garden wall - not cement grey. The wall would probably be two bricks thick with some kind of nice top layer for sitting on. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi, I need some inital pointers on creating a garden wall about 0.5 m high by 5m long. I initially looked at getting bricks which looked really nice but the cost is way too much. Next thought - build the wall out of the cheapest brick I can find then apply a finish of some description. I suppose I could masonary paint ontop of the brick but I dont think that would look good - so some kind of cement or lime? coating then paint might do the trick. I just need some direction so I can go and do my own research. I'd like a colour in my garden wall - not cement grey. The wall would probably be two bricks thick with some kind of nice top layer for sitting on. Thanks.

Blocks might be beter if thinking of rendering. Search the builders forum about footings, piers etc

A 4:1 scratch and a 5:1:1 (lime) float coat to paint will be fine.

For a coping stone to sit on, make sure that it has a drip (a groove in the underside near the outer edges) in it , and that it is wide enough for this drip to clear the finished render by at least an inch each side

Thanks Micilin. Is there any way of puting colour into the render or is it best to just use paint afterwards? You mention a lime coat finish - would this have a colour? I'm looking for a sandy sort of colour anyway.

I'll redirect my other wall building questions to the proper forum. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Micilin. Is there any way of puting colour into the render or is it best to just use paint afterwards? You mention a lime coat finish - would this have a colour? I'm looking for a sandy sort of colour anyway.

I'll redirect my other wall building questions to the proper forum. Cheers.

An ordinary portland cement / sand/lime will dry out grey, almost white- depending on the colour of your sand. You can add dye which will be fine if you are not trying to match a specific colour ie keep all mixes the same, and you will have uniform shade - whatever that might turn out to be.

Edit -

However, without paint you might get uneven colouring in wet/damp weather. You can get coloured renders but not ideal wihout some rendering experience

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back