Cheap Mobile Calls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have several sim cards with Virgin. I pay 15p/min for the first 5 mins, then 5p min (landlines and Virgin numbers) I pay 40p/min to other mobiles. I rarely text, so do not count these costs. Picture messaging costs 25p a shot, unlimited internet access is 30p/24h. Voicemail is free.

I am considering moving to Asda mobile. They have a flat rate: 8p/min for calls to UK landlines or any UK mobile number. Picture messaging is 25p. VM is 8p/min.

The only thing I'm not sure of is their GPRS rate which is 20p/MB. How would that compare with Virgin's 30p for unlimited access in 24h, bearing in mind I only use it once or twice a week?

Sponsored Links
Just like everything about Virgins rates, nothing is cheap and there is always a charge waiting to whack you around the head

"A fair use policy of 25MB per day applies. Any use above this limit will be charged at £2 per MB"

And clarify whether their 30p for "mobile web" means the internet or data generally

Thanks, woody. In other words, Virgin charge 30p for a maximum of 25 Meg, effectively.

Asda charge 20p/ Meg. Quite a difference, but then I don't use it often.

I'm just trying to work out how much a MB is when browsing websites.

It depends what phone you have and what browser it uses.

Normal phones only use WAP sites so get limited data. PDA type phones will use a better browser which will access a "mobile" version of some websites if the site has a mobile version, or will attempt to download the normal site - which will include all the crap thats on a typical site.

Its very easy to download heaps of data just by accessing a few normal web pages.

If you have a Pocket PC, I'd recommend SPB GPRS Monitor, which monitors your download and upload traffic and you can set limits or an alarm

IIRC, O2, 3 and T_mobile have the best rates for PAYG or infrequent data use

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I'll look into that. But, TBH, my mobile internet access is a very small portion of my usage, so I think any savings I may make with a lower cost provider for this aspect of the service may be cancelled out by the greater charges for voice calls (which I use a lot).

BTW, I have a SE K800i.

O2 have some good deals on their Simplicity Tariffs, and if you purchase via www.quidco.com (a cashback site) you will get £35 cashback

For £20/m you will get 600 minutes, 1200 texts and unlimited web - plus free calls to O2 phones. On the Asda tarrif, £20 only gets you 250 minutes - about 8 minutes a day per month

Back