Cheap paint = bad paint ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am planning to repaint (paint over existing paint) the walls in my house. I did a bit of shopping around and have noticed the wide range of prices.

Diy stores (Homebase, B&Q, Focus, Wilkinson...) all have their own brand of paint and it is about 20% cheaper than big names (Dulux...). What do you think of the quality of this paint? I am looking for standard matt emulsion, and also kitchen and bathroom paint.

Any advice is welcome.
J

Sponsored Links
hello just from my past experience with customers buying cheap paint, most of the time you will need to get more paint because the cheaper paints dont cover as good as johnstone or dulux which then works out the same if not more costly in the long run.

Thats just from my past experiance other people might have different views

hope this helps carl

You can get Crown Vinyl matt from B&Q pretty cheap - and that is pretty good paint, but only in magnolia and white. Otherwise go for Johnstones - pretty cheap from 'The Range'. Oh and Wilko's paints are pretty darn good.

Don't go for cheap paint, i used B&Q matt white, it took over 5 coats to get it looking nice, i also used Wickes master white which only took 2 coats to get a good finish.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies.

I agree it might not be a good idea to buy a 5L pot for £5... but I am thinking about these brands that propose a full range of colors (and special paints for kitchens) at about £12 the 2.5L pot (instead of £15 for Dulux).
Any disappointment from these?

You get what you pay for..

As Joe says, Wilkinsons is a good place for paint ive heard the home brand stuff is ok...but even the branded stuff is good quality.

The quality of the paint is a bit of a much of a muchness...most paint today is ok durability wise..its just down to application and coverage

If its going to take two coats anyway then you might as well use a cheaper one...but bear in mind cheap stuff could also mean the difference between two and three coats...or more

Just use your head and give the 3-5 quid for five litres stuff a swerve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back