Cheaper 15W-50 oil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I've got an engine that requires 15W50 oil to API-SJ standard (manual says it MUST be 15W50). As far as I can see 15W50 is universally bl**dy expensive, best price I have found so far is £38.39 for 5L, and I need to do a full 12L oil change twice a year so this is going to work out at around £200 a year in oil. Ouch!

Any ideas where I might find it cheaper or is it just expensive stuff?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Which engine is this? It sounds like a hard working 4x4.....
All I say is, don't buy from a main dealer, see what Comma, Millers or Morris lubricants have to offer.
I buy my stuff in 25 litre drums these days.
John :)

It's a big Chevy V8, wouldn't dream of buying from a main dealer, that price was for Mobil SuperSyn 15W50 from Halfords, I'll check out the others, thanks

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the help guys :D picked up some Motul 6100 for £17.50 a 5L can today, which will do nicely

API SJ is very old, check the vehicle, and oil, manufacturers websites and see what their latest recommendadtion is.

the 15W-50 sounds to me like they are trying to accomodate usage in e.g. Wyoming, where winter temp can be -40 and summer temp can be 30C. If you are using it in the UK our climate is less extreme so the engine may be happy with a simpler oil.

Motul 6100 is an API SL rated oil so a later standard than the SJ anyway. I'd be surprised if you can still get SJ as it will have been superceded, or encompassed by SL, methinks.

15W50 is big old fashioned oil....CHEAP...you need to shop around man!

0w 30 is the expensive stuff.

Motul 6100 is an API SL rated oil so a later standard than the SJ anyway. I'd be surprised if you can still get SJ as it will have been superceded, or encompassed by SL, methinks.

Yeah Motul's data sheet said SL was an updated SJ, I don't mind having something better I just don't want anything lower grade. To be honest I don't fully understand it, hence my keenness to obtain the oil specified in the manual.

Have shopped around Micky, £17.50 was the best price I could get, Halfords are still knocking 15W50 out at nearly £40 a can, I can get your 0W30 for less than that!

Yeah Motul's data sheet said SL was an updated SJ, I don't mind having something better I just don't want anything lower grade. To be honest I don't fully understand it, hence my keenness to obtain the oil specified in the manual.

Have shopped around Micky, £17.50 was the best price I could get, Halfords are still knocking 15W50 out at nearly £40 a can, I can get your 0W30 for less than that!

Blimey! 0w30 is usually fully synthetic, suited to sportscars, and 15w50 is for running a tractor in the winter(!) At best I'd put 5w/40 in a diesel.

Sponsored Links
Back