Oil ran out - lockout - some advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Thanks Oilman, Wilhelm & others for the useful advice (quoted below) provided to previous postings on how to rectify airlocks caused by running out of oil.

One thing I would add is that in my set-up (ancient Redfyre centrajet 18/28 ) the oil came out in drips, rather than a flow - but even though far less than a gush, the boiler DID fire up.
(A crude attempt at estimating the height difference suggests the level of the oil in the tank is about 1 foot / 30cm higher than the inlet into the boiler mechanism - I guess that the difference needs to be more to get a distinct flow).

Another thing - initially the oil didn't even drip.
So I rigged up a basic set-up to draw the oil through the pipe.
I got a jam-jar, put a couple of circular holes in the lid - one a little larger than the nozzle part of the detached end of the flexible oil pipe. I wrapped a rubber band (as a seal) around the nozzle part and then pressed it against the hole in the jamjar lid. Then I got my airbed pump (which has a 'deflate' setting) and put its nozzle against the second hole in the jamjar lid. Then I pumped. It was a bit fiddly to hold the two bits to the lid and pump, but it worked.

I got some rather murky oil out, which cleared after about 150-200 ml (1/4 pint). I did check the filter on the outdoor oil tank which looked OK - so I'm not clear how this muck got in there. At a previous house I had an outdoor pipe that had in it a small bit of water at its lowest point (18 inches underground - which one cold winter froze and blocked the flow!).
So maybe the mucky stuff that came out on my current system was a thin layer that had settled in the pipe over several years and was undisturbed by the usual flow of oil but was stirred up by the flushing effect of the new oil being added after running out?

After a bit more pumping the oil came out as drips as indicated above, but when reconnected, it was a good enough flow for the boiler to fire up.

Info from Oilman's previous postings:
Turn off the oil at the boiler, and put a shallow tray under the burner.
Switch off the power to the boiler, and unplug the cable that goes to the burner.
Disconnect the pipe that goes into the pump, normally a 15mm spanner.
Put the end of the pipe into a pot and open the oil valve. Run a couple of litres into a container. It should flow freely.
Turn off the valve and reconnect the pipe
Plug in the burner, turn on the power and try the burner.
Wipe the pipe joint with a piece of paper towel and check in about 15 mins for leaks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back