camray 5 oil bruner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
this is my first post so be kind.
I currently have a camray 5 oil burner which has had a new control box due to starting problems.
After just two weeks the boiler is not starting again, i have removed the burner and dismantled the nozzle and elctrodes which were clean. i fired the boiler up with the boiler out of situ and you can see the spark no problem. however, there was only a small trickle of what appeared to be watered down milk dribbling out of the nozzle!!.
i then dismantled the oil pump filters which were caked in the same type of crap. i then reassembled the clean pump and checked to see if the oil was flowing,
1) without switching the burner on i just removed the top left exit nozzle which supplies the oil from the pump to the jet nozzle, this seemed to pour out, not sure if the pressure was right. before putting the pump nozzled back , there appeares to be a small jet which i can only describe as skinny end which slots into the pump and the top end which looks like a black mesh. once i put this back in and tighten it back up no oil comes out of there, its only when i remove the bolt slightlythe oil then oozes out. not sure whats wrong.
what does the coil on top of the pump do? and how can i tell if theres water in the oil. due to the white mikish substance of is this normal?
re
rich

Sponsored Links
A mixture of kerosene (or any oil) and water will form a white emulsion, if its agitated enough.
Start by cleaning the filters on the oil tank valve, and working your way to the boiler so when you turn your oil back on, only pure kerosene flows.
The coil on top of the burner oil pump turns the oil supply to the nozzle on and off. This allows the burner to purge the boiler with fresh air for a few seconds before the burner lights up, giving a clean, reliable start.
John :)

Hi
thanks for that, not sure as to how water got in there in the first place. I have cleaned the filters and pump which were absolutley caked. i have reconnected it back up but left the main exit flow pipe which feeds the nozzle off. i have then started the boiler up not in situ so i can see the spark etc. there is not oil coming out of the pump only into it. I have checked everything, the solenoid is magnetising fine, the photo cell is working fine ( checked this with a torch on, no spark and torch off, big spark).
the only way i can get the oil to come out of the exit pipe is if i remove the hex nut and it ****es out, but this only bypasses the solenoid plunger so it will flow. I have now bought another oil pump because it may be knackered will update you soon as i find a solution.

Probably right that the pump is k*******d. If you have been pupming water through the helical gears, it will have worn them sufficiently to allow the oil to by pass the rotor.

Sponsored Links
Hi
new pump fitted and the oil is flowing out into the nozzle as a fine spray. I had to reset it a few times because the kerosene would not ignite and at first i was still having the white milky stuff through even after i cleaned it out.
I'm not sure as to how the water got into the tank in the first place, i had to very carefully siphon a 5 gallon of oil out from the tank and plug it straight into the feedpipe after the filter. At first i had some small bits of smoke and eventually the flame came on to my delight. Anyhow it started to go out then restart a few times, but i think this may be down to either bits of water still in the kerosene or the gravity flow from the 5 gallon drum was not pushing enough fuel into the system.
Its strange because i soaked a rag full of what i thought was kerosene tried to light it but it wouldnt burn only random samples sometimes it would and then it just doused the flames.

should be the other end of the pipe oulet/stop tap.

will prob be a square plug.

the tank should be angled back towards this drain plug, so any water that gets in the tank runs back to this point to allow the water to be drained off.

ok will have a look at that, how is the kerosene a slight red colour from the tank? can you get it a redy colour or is it just the rust in the tank
re
rich

kerosene is browny/clear in colour.

the red could be rust or more likey red oxide paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back