oil fired burner not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hope someone can help. I have a nuway boxer oil fired burner. Yesterday I found the red trip switch activated. There is oil in the tank, the fan is operating, the electrodes are working but no flame appears. I disconnected the pipe that goes from the pump to the nozzle and when the burner tries to operate I get a few small spurts of oil coming out, but not much. Is it safe to assume that the pump is faulty.( Im thinking there should be a steady stream of fuel going to the nozzle) Incidentally the pump is a BFP21L3. :

Sponsored Links
Is it safe to assume that the pump is faulty
All you can assume there is too little oil comming out of the pump!

Check any filters in oil line - If no oil entering pump none will come out.
Check to see if air lock in oil line or pump - again little will come out.
Pump coupling if damaged - little oil will come out.
Pump filter
etc.

Never assume then you don't replace parts unnecessarily.

Like the other poster mentioned. Check the filter cartridge (you do have a filter?). Check fine filter inside pump.
If all is clean then change nozzle first (3-5 quid) and if the clean oil is still running well to the pump (un-couple to check at hose) consider changing the solenoid (coil).
The solenoid "lifts" when the pump is up to pressure, letting oil escape very quickly to nozzle.
You really need pump pressure gauges to see what you pump is operating at!

16.jpg

Firstly thanks for getting back.. Theres a good supply of oil to the pump.ive removed the small filter within pump-it was slightly dirty. Cleaned it -still faulty. The solenoid is definitely energising - I can feel it.
Can the pump be stripped - by a novice.? or is there anything else you can suggest?

Regards

Sponsored Links
Can the pump be stripped
Easily it's getting it back together properly that is the problem - replace it IF faulty.

is there anything else you can suggest?
Pump coupling as above post.
What is the voltage on selonoid?

As Mike said pressure guage is needed to check pump pressure. Vacuum guage could be handy also.

its a bit dodgy dsconnecting pipe twixt pump and nozzle.on a working pump you could get 100psi facefull of oil :oops:

its a bit dodgy dsconnecting pipe twixt pump and nozzle.on a working pump you could get 100psi facefull of oil
Who suggested that??

Firstly thanks Mike for recommending where to get pump. it was waiting for me when I got back off holidays.
Ive fitted it however the flame seems very large and the burner seems noisier than it was before - Do I have to make an adjustment to the pump?
All suggestions appreciated :)

you,ll need to check pump pressure and combustion test to be politically correct...

Ive noticed that new pumps (danfoss) are set to 150psi new.

depends on nwhat nozzle you got etc

good luck.

Now you have a flame you will need to set pump pressure and possibly change nozzle and adjust the combustion setting.

You will require the following,

Oil pressure gauge and manifold
Smoke pump and filter paper
A flue gas analyzer/ combustion analyzer

Oh and OFTEC registration :LOL:

You could call on the service of a qualified OFTEC engineer.
Or you can run it as it is, it will only cost you a fortune in oil and possibly damage your boiler.

ps.
Often wonder why I had to pass all those dam assessment, such as basic plumbing, advanced plumbing, gas ,oil, G3 Part"p"ect. as for the tools I buy do I really need them :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Every penny pinching Diy'er assume to know how not to do it right :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Firstly ive got my burner working , so thanks to you all. However I am mystified why Gremlin16 has got his pointy head on.
I am an electronics engineer by trade. By using basic fault finding I traced the problem to my fuel pump. I then came on this site to see if there was anything I could do before replacing the pump, and EVERYONE to a man was helpful. However when I asked about adjusting the pump pressure Gremlin16 starts yakking on like Victor Meldrew about his qualifications and experience., and that I should get a qualified plummer.
Anyway using my limited knowledge I adjusted my flame til I thought it looked similar to the flame on my mother-in-laws burner and guess what ? When I got a guy round to service it he only had to make a small adjustment. So I didnt do that bad a job. ( I didn't have filter paper, pressure guage, analyser blah blah blah)
For everyone who was helpful thanks a million, I appreciate your help. As for Gremlin16 --keep taking the tablets. Why go on a DIY site if you don't advocate DIY? YOU ARE A BALLOON

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back