Cheaper alternative to Dulux Trade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This question has been asked before but most posts seems to be from several years back. Had some building work done and aiming to repaint most of the house over the coming year, I usually buy Dulux Trade paint and have done so for years. This is because even though it’s more expensive in my experience it does the job in 2 coats without fail and I’d rather that than risk having issues with an inferior paint. However, having just bought 10 litres of white vinyl Matt for £50 I’m wondering if there’s a cheaper alternative that might do an adequate job? I want to paint white onto skimmed (mist coated) plaster and walls/ceiling that are already painted white or magnolia.

Sponsored Links
I used (risked) Wicks own brand matt emulsion white to paint first coat plaster. Some really bad reviews but for £14 for 10 litres pretty cheap. It's been fine, just make sure the plaster has dried out. I have never bothered with mist coats, if two coats doesn't do it, add a third.

Blup

Thanks, the reviews of the Leland on Screwfix are rather mixed and Wickes do a white vinyl Matt for £35 too. Might give each of these a go, at least for overprinting and see how it goes, saving £15 a tub adds up.

Sponsored Links
You must be looking at different reviews to me, I could only find a couple of negative reviews out of 200 odd. Anyway be interesting to see what you think of both, I'd like to try that £14 Wickes one but the pain of having to do extra coats because of crap paint would put me off, I'd sooner pay a bit more for a more reliable result.

And that’s the contact Matt rather than vinyl
Absolute shoite

it’s almost transluscent when it goes on

if you need to sand it back, it’s like super soft filler and comes off in dust like talcolm powder.

I swapped to Dulux trade and paid the £49 B&Q - note that Screwfix do the trade Dulux but it’s not brilliant white.

Most if not all the durable (will take a wipe over) paints will want a primer over plaster, or a surface that will dry out too fast for the resins to level.
Durable emulsions are smoother vs some vinyl matts

Absolute shoite

it’s almost transluscent when it goes on

if you need to sand it back, it’s like super soft filler and comes off in dust like talcolm powder.

I swapped to Dulux trade and paid the £49 B&Q - note that Screwfix do the trade Dulux but it’s not brilliant white.

Isn’t that quite normal for the mist coat? Contract Matt is not hard wearing at all and I often find quite it powdery/chalky. Vinyl Matt is better for the finishing coat after using contract matt to mist coat new plaster. On the other hand I believe you can use diluted vinyl Matt on fresh plaster these days and as pp have said even paint straight on without a mist coat (not something I’ve tried mind)

The worst paint that I have had the misfortune of using is the Crown (not Trade) white emulsion. It was a tenner for 10L. After applying 5 coats to try to hide scuff marks on a white wall, I binned the remaining 9.5L of the paint.

Which ever paint you go for, stick with the trade versions of which ever brand you go for, especially if they are light colours

Just been to Tool station, they have Dulux trade vinyl Matt 10L for £41! I get an additional 10% off there so it’s a no brainer!

You can usually get 7.5 litres of the dulux vinyl Matt for around £27 to £30 at the dulux decorating centres or brewers. I guess some other similar places too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back