cheaper alternative to rendering an external wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I'm not sure if this is a question for rendering or decorating forum so apologies if it is in the wrong place.
The retaining wall around our parking bay looks a mess. When the house was decorated a few years ago, the decorator painted it with weathershield masonry paint. this turned out to be a mistake as the bricks are porous and every winter since then, water gets trapped behind the paint expands in the freezing weather and blows the face off the bricks.
Previously, before painting, the water could drain out and evaporate.

I had a quote for fitting EML, rendering and fitting coping stones on top and it is a lot more than I thought and the bloke I like to use isn't available for a couple of months.

As I want to put the house up for sale as soon as possible I was thinking of cleaning it up with a power washer and painting it with weathershield again.
I wondered if there is an alternative method to tidying it up that will not deteriorate over the course of 1 winter?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
I've attached pictures

20180315_080729.jpg 20180320_124450.jpg 20180320_124515.jpg

Sponsored Links
It was here when we moved in. I think they are standard house bricks. Maybe concrete blocks would've been better. They looked a bit mucky but I should've cleaned rather than painted. They started deteriorating the first winter after painting. Can't afford to rebuild so I'm wondering if it is better to sandblast and repair, or is there another solution?

If you were staying in the house then putting some effort and money in the wall would be a good option. If you want to pretty it up just for sale of the house, I’d be inclined to jet wash the hell out of it, scrape it, let it dry out and bang another coat of paint on. As long as it looks sharp for the months your house is up for sale and going through, you’re laughing..... next winter the buyer may not be laughing and be on here asking the same question. But that’s not your problem.

Sponsored Links
Nothing you do cheaply will make it look noticeable better, or change the value or kerb appeal of your place. Don't bother putting lipstick on a pig.

I'm sure any potential buyers will be must busy looking at the state of your neighbours house anyway :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back