Cheapest mix for external render please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
The render on my garden walls has had to come off because it is crumbling and moving away from the walls, the bricks underneath are terrible, I have knocked out a few of the worst bricks and put new in, have patched up the mortar where it was missing completely and rebuilt one of the walls that was collapsing. I now want to put up a new coat of render to hide the rubbish underneath but the ready mixed stuff is really expensive and I can't find which render is best to use between the lime stuff and the cement stuff neither can I find how much of it to mix and I really need it all to be as cheap as possible.
Before someone tells me it's too hard to do or to ring a professional, please don't, I realise it might be a bit tricky, the people at B&Q and Wickes took great pleasure explaining to me in words of one syllable that I wouldn't be able to plaster my hall, stairs and landing myself, I did it and have had a number of people asking for the number of my plasterer because the finish is perfect. I am sure rendering the garden walls can't be much harder, I just need to know what to use please and the cheapest place to get it.
Thanks in advance, Lynsey xx

Sponsored Links
For someone like you who is "so good" at plastering, i don't think there is much more i can tell you,, apart from saying that a good tradesman would never, ever "cover up rubbish underneath". The "underneath" is the "key to a good job", and hey,, i'd "love to see your plastering". Another thing, doing a job as "cheap as possible" will cost more in the long run.
Anyway, scratch coat,,, 4 to 1 plastering sand and cement, with a combined waterproofer/plasticiser added to the mix in measured quantity. Top coat render, 5 to 1, plastering sand and cement with added plasticiser, (waterproofer optional in top coat), you can use a cement mixer, or why not hand batch it,,, easy,,, not!! apart from that, the job's a dawdle. Mwahhh. x. :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back