Check Grundfos CH pump turning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have 2 x circulating and 2 x shunt pumps (for redundancy - we live in an old council building). Please could you advise the best way to find out if a pump is rotating or not? Any of the four pumps running will vibrate the others, so vibration doesn't help. I tried this little compass device, but it only shows one pump rotating just at startup and the others won't spin it at all. If I remove the bleed screws, might that get the compass working? Is there a better way? I strongly suspect at least one of the pumps (possibly most of them) isn't working. Any help would be mightily appreciated.

Attachments

• 20210512_105837[1].jpg
    20210512_105837[1].jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 121
  • 20210512_105849[1].jpg
    20210512_105849[1].jpg
    389.6 KB · Views: 141
  • 20210512_111619[1].jpg
    20210512_111619[1].jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 130
Sponsored Links
Look at the gauges either side of the pump...when the pump's running you'll get a pressure difference between the 2 gauges.

Thank you, Gasguru. There is only a pressure gauge upstream, but that does drop on starting one of the pumps. I've also managed to get the compass meter working. The compass has to synch with the rotor, so starting the motor with the compass held over the bleed screw means it speeds up with the rotor, and stays synchronized. Just placing the compass over the spinning rotor doesn't work: The magnetic field is rotating so fast, the compass can't synchronize, so it just sits there, presumably seeing the rotor's magnetic field spinning, but unable to lock on.

So we definitely have one dud motor. I can check it out over the summer.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help.

Top Marks,

Rob Arthur

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back