Check neutral wire is functioning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a standard lighting cable running from the ceiling which was functioning as normal. However, now the light is not functioning. I can detect a live signal via a live wire detector and it seems fine but there's still no light. I've replaced the bulb but again no light. The switch also seems fine, so the only thing i can think is that the neutral wire is not functioning correctly. Is there a way i can check this?

Is there anything else i should be checking?

Sponsored Links
You need to measure the voltage from Live to Neutral at the lamp fitting.

Use a decent voltage indicating device for this.

If you see no volts from L to N, check from L to Earth.

If you see no volts from L to E, and no volts from L to N, the live is at fault somewhere.

If you see volts from L to E and no volts from L to N, the neutral is at fault.

can't help fore more than that - late, and wined.

Thanks for the advice. The detector i've got doesn't actually connect to anything. You just hold it near and it beeps if it detects a live current. Are you suggesting i get a detector that i can hook up to the wires?

Is there any other basic things i could check before doing that?

Thanks
Gordon

Sponsored Links
You can get a Voltage tester pretty cheap from most DIY shops (just make sure its approved!), sounds like what you've got is a cable/pipe detector? :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back