Light Sensitive switch - wiring???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've bought a light sensitive switch to wire into my Xmas lights.

It has a cable coming from it with live, neutral and earth connections (there's a black wire that I'm presuming is earth).

How do I connect this into the Xmas lights for it to function properly?

John

Sponsored Links
Hmmm ... doubt it - more liekely the switched line. It should have come with instructions. Are these external lights?

no, interior lights, lost the instructions

so do you reckon the brown and black are both live, one going in and one going out?

if i cut the neutral wire to i connect both end to the blue wire coming from the light sensor or just one?

You might find a plug in timeswitch is better/safer. What happens when you turn the room lights on??

As an aside does anyone know how many people are killed each year by XMas lights??

Sponsored Links
777.gif

Make sure you make these connections in an enclosure with appropriate card restraint. I assume the Photo Cell you have is designed to be panel mounted, so you would be best to use a gewiss box 4x4x2inch with the sensor mounted through the side (normally 20mm hole). Put glands in the box for the feed in and out.

XMas light cables are fairly crap, and TRS glands wont grip the smaller ones. Maybe best to put a trailing socket (like an extension) fed out of the box on a length of flex, or even panel mount a socket onto a larger Gewiss box.

If he positions the sensor incorrectly, he could have 'flashing' lights :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

As the sensor senses dark, the lights come on......the sensor sees light and switches off :oops:

some light sensors also require a minimum load before they will work.

get a time switch, easier , better and cheaper

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back