UK ceiling light wiring question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
UK Ceiling light wiring question

UK ceiling light wiring question

I’m just swapping a ceiling light in our kitchen and the new light has the usual live, neutral and earth, but the wires coming out of the ceiling are 2 black, one black with a red sleeve and an earth (or multiple earths together). There’s only one light and one switch in the kitchen. I’m pretty sure in the old light the two blacks were together with neutral, the red sleeve went to live and earth obviously went to earth, but I just want to check before I fit it properly that that’s the right way? Like the second pic but I’ll tidy up the connections before I put it back properly. I did actually do it last night that way and the light worked correctly and nothing went bang or anything when I turned it on but I’ve been second guessing myself all night. Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_7947.jpeg
    IMG_7947.jpeg
    193.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_7946.jpeg
    IMG_7946.jpeg
    187.4 KB · Views: 36
Sponsored Links
It works - just copy it.

The two blacks are Neutral and the single black is Switched Live from the switch.

There are presumably three reds in a connector above the top of the picture

Yes you have the correct wires in the correct places. You do have a lot of bare copper showing near the connector block, can you get more of the copper inside the connector block? It also isn't the safest looking connector block with all that bare metal showing around the screws I would change the connector block for a better one.

Sponsored Links
It works - just copy it.

The two blacks are Neutral and the single black is Switched Live from the switch.

There are presumably three reds in a connector above the top of the picture
There are three reds going up into the ceiling yeah, thank you!

Yes you have the correct wires in the correct places. You do have a lot of bare copper showing near the connector block, can you get more of the copper inside the connector block? It also isn't the safest looking connector block with all that bare metal showing around the screws I would change the connector block for a better one.
Yeah I thought the same. I’ll swap the new tiny connector for the one on the old light because that one was bigger and the wires fit in better. Thanks!

I trimmed some of the copper back and swapped the tiny new block for the old choc block in the old light and it looks more secure to me now.

Attachments

• IMG_7949.jpeg
    IMG_7949.jpeg
    238.2 KB · Views: 31

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back