Check Valves installing on old 0.5 Inch pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to install 3 check valves (isolation Valves/needle valves) to enable me to isolate a sink and toilet cold water feed.

I think the pipes are probably .5 inch as the house was built in about 1965 and these are original pipes.

I was hoping to pich up a pack of 10 valves from screwfix or similar but they are all 15mm.

I have seen people talking about using 15mm fitting on .5 ich pipe but I am worried that the olives wont fit on the slightly larger .5 inch pipe.

Is it possible to get .5 inch olives and use them in 15mm fittings? If so is this recommended or is there a better solution?

Thanks[code:1][/code:1]

Sponsored Links
they are the same size but sometimes are a bit tight to get on.
leave the valve all together and tap it on then undo the nut and check it's gone fully on.

The 15mm valves will fit, if you want to,wrap some ptfe tape around the olive before you do the final fit.dont buy the 10 for a tenner valves, buy some full bore valves or ones that are wras approved

Sponsored Links
The 15mm valves will fit, if you want to,wrap some ptfe tape around the olive before you do the final fit.dont buy the 10 for a tenner valves, buy some full bore valves or ones that are wras approved

Great thanks.

Any recommendations for valves? I assumed they were all much the same.

The only time I have had an issue with this is if the old ½" pipes have been subject to frost and expanded a bit. Chamfering the end of the pipe or using a pipe cutter helps here and I have had to anneal the olives and /or file the pipe to get the rings on. A few bad cases have resulted in me renewing the affected pipework.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back