Checking boiler safety

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
The law allows you to blow yourself up.

It expressly forbids you to work on your neighbour's properties you fool.

Qualification and supervision
3. - (1) No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so.
(2) The employer of any person carrying out such work for that employer, every other employer and self-employed person who has control to any extent of such work and every employer and self-employed person who has required such work to be carried out at any place of work under his control shall ensure that paragraph (1) above is complied with in relation to such work.
(3) Without prejudice to the generality of paragraphs (1) and (2) above and subject to paragraph (4) below, no employer shall allow any of his employees to carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or service pipework and no self-employed person shall carry out any such work, unless the employer or self-employed person, as the case may be, is a member of a class of persons approved for the time being by the Health and Safety Executive for the purposes of this paragraph.

The Gas Safety (Installation & Use) regulation 1998.

This is obviously a wind up.[/quote]

Sponsored Links
Whether a joke or not , there is nothing stopping the OP sticking his FGA into next doors flue terminal , or his own for that matter , you don't have to be gas registered to be able to use a FGA , whether those readings mean anything to the user is another issue.

If it's good enough for BG , which it is , so go blame them for not stripping & cleaning the appliance ;) , seems the OP has bought up an interesting question , if just sampling flue gases via terminal then obviously not breaking any rules (technically)..............................£10 is cheap , come do some for me please. :mrgreen:

Whether a joke or not , there is nothing stopping the OP sticking his FGA into next doors flue terminal , or his own for that matter , you don't have to be gas registered to be able to use a FGA

Can't agree with that, if he's charging them and telling them it's 'safe' that's got to be classed as 'work'. With all the necessary preconditions attached.
But if he just wants to go and poke his neighbours flue who are we to argue. :LOL:

Sooey , if the next door neighbour happens to ask the OP if he can 'rent' his FGA out for a small fee then i can't see a problem , If the next door neighbour is familiar with what the combustion readings should be for his/her particular appliance then it will be up to him/her whether they decide to have the boiler serviced by a RGI or not.

I don't agree but then i would say that wouldn't I. ;)

So, the OP lives on a street where everyone is blessed with an familiarity of combustion theory (would love to know what that boils down to?).

So he can rent out his annually calibrated (how much does that cost a year BTW?) FGA so they can all service their boiler once a year.

What about those with Open Flues? What if some of their vents were getting a little clogged? Would he get his funky FGA to clean them out as well?

What about all those condensate traps (some of which are in the combustion chamber), that may not be clogged at the time this FGA is being bandied about, but the poor old dear with her Warmfront boiler installation has not had the thing checked properly because some pillock down the road gave her husband an FGA for a tenner and thought that was it. So, with 4 inches of snow out there the boiler has conked out because the trap has blocked. But wait - knobby here has read the manual he downloaded and all is well because the old dear saved herself £80 on the boiler service... Shame she is freezing her knackers off because matey here has gone away for the weekend and she has to call out an emergency plumber for an extortionate amount (as they are want to do) to fix something that would have been done as a routine inspection.

But don't worry... this communal FGA will sort it.

What about the combustion chamber seals that may be sealed at the time, but are starting to perish because it is a 20 year old POS Potterton that has an HSE warning against it for qualified RGI's to monitor.

Oh - his funky annually calibrated FGA will remember to take a note of the condition of the boiler each year, So that any changes can be cross referenced.

So that's OK then.

Oh - he has his liability insurance I am sure.

Knob.

Wow , looks like some on here are getting wound up over a thread that has obviously been posted as a wind up :D

A knob I agree.

Most boilers aren't serviced so a safety check is a good thing.

BTW, how much would you lot charge to do the same test?

BTW, how much would you lot charge to do the same test?

I charge to service a boiler so i wouldn't know. ;)

Have you something against RGIs with all these pointless postings on different parts of the forum?

yeah.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back