Checking continuity of ring circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Without going into the reasons why, I would like to confirm the continuity of one of the ring circuits in my house.

But I don't want to go messing with the consumer unit at all. So can I turn all power off and then take a socket cover off one of the sockets on the ring in question. Then using a multimeter (set to Ohms???) check the resistance between the pairs of live, neutral and earths?

If so what readings should I expect if the circuit is wired correctly?

Thanks,

Bob

Sponsored Links
can I turn all power off and then take a socket cover off one of the sockets on the ring in question. Then using a multimeter (set to Ohms???) check the resistance between the pairs of live, neutral and earths?
Yes, that's right. Set to Low Ohms.

If so what readings should I expect if the circuit is wired correctly?
The Line(live) and Neutral should be roughly the same and the CPC(earth wire) should be 1.67 times as much.

The actual values depend, of course, on how long the ring is.
2.5mm² (L & N) has a standard resistance of 7.32mΩ per meter @ 30°C.
1.5mm² (CPC) 7.32x2.5/1.5 = 12.2mΩ per meter.

Any values higher than expected would indicate poor/loose connections.

Great thanks, and if there was a complete break in say the live, what would the reading be? Infinity?

Sponsored Links
Yes, open circuit.
Just wondering do I need to unplug/switch off everything before testing continuity? I will turn off all power but do I need to unplug appliances as well? Washing machine for example. Will any residual charges in capacitors for example affect the reading?

Thanks

Bob

Hello again, sorry for another question! But can I just switch off the circuit I am testing or does it have to be the whole house?

Thanks for all your help BTW.

You can just switch off the power to the circuit but it is better to switch off the Main Switch.

You never know what faults or botch-ups might be present.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back