Checking gas supply capacity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to check the gas supply capacity in advance of fitting a boiler?

A site currently runs electric storage heaters from a 100A 3ph supply. (70KVA)

The site has a U6 gas meter (6 m^3/hr nominally; previously only used for gas tumble dryers) and we'd like to convert to gas.

Maybe the supply from the main can flow enough gas to deliver 6 m^3 @ 21 mbar after the regulator. Maybe the supply from the main can't.

-How is this checked prior to deciding to install boilers?
-Who checks it?

-Is there a service level guarantee on a gas supply? (are the distributors obliged to deliver 6m^3/hr; who pays if not?)

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
These are things you do not need to worry about ;)

You installer, if he is gas Safe, will know what to do.

Unhelpful.

Most gas safe people seem happy to fit the boilers then check afterwards, with no concern for impact on timetables.

For water I'd ask for a dynamic pressure check. What's the equivalent in gas lingo please? I want the check done in advance of planning all the works, not something that throws a spanner in the works.

(Wednesbury if anybody would like to quote for the job)

Someone needs to do a pipe sizing calculation to ensure the pipe is of a sufficient diameter taking into account the length, bends, elbows and other appliances that may be drawing off gas at the same time.
I don't know what engineers you use but I for one don't just fit a boiler and worry about it afterwards. I try to avoid call backs from unhappy customers as I could be elsewhere earning money.

Sponsored Links
Pipework after the meter is not a problem.

I'm talking about the supply to the meter: is the main adequate? Many aren't. How do you check?

Are they obliged to provide 21 mbar @ 6 m^3/hr?

Worst case scenario, what the usual turnaround time?

No - it is a lower pressure, but I can't remember what.

Turn around time? Months. Working on one at the moment. Order for a new supply went in in April.

Not sure if it has been finished yet. That was running a new pipe 6 metres across a side road.

Admittedly it was a 3" supply for carrying 17 cubes though.

Your maximum load on a U6 would be 64.6kw, that's not taking into account your loss on the pipework.

No - it is a lower pressure, but I can't remember what.

12.5 mbar apparently. Enough that your hob doesn't blow out and cause a safety issue; not enough to guarantee you're able to run your gas appliances though.

Apart from WB (TB 0040) is there anybody else that'll allow commissioning below 21 mBar?

Turn around time? Months. Working on one at the moment. Order for a new supply went in in April.

Not sure if it has been finished yet. That was running a new pipe 6 metres across a side road.

That's the type of delay I feared. Looks like there's no way to check flowrates beforehand though so flag as a risk and aim to commission ASAP.

Has a gas safe person looked at it at all?

Not in recent living memory; it's been capped for a decade.

We'll find out in due course of this meter can supply 6m^3/hr. No gas safe people I've called can answer this question without there being existing equipment hooked up to it. (there is none)

Unhelpful.

Most gas safe people seem happy to fit the boilers then check afterwards, with no concern for impact on timetables.

For water I'd ask for a dynamic pressure check. What's the equivalent in gas lingo please? I want the check done in advance of planning all the works, not something that throws a spanner in the works.

(Wednesbury if anybody would like to quote for the job)

It think it would be more helpful if you provided more details rather than being abusive to one of the highly respected members here.

You clearly have gone in to some detail of the gas supply, but failed to divulge the obvious: like size of the building, rough date of construction & type of building.

Well worded Sir Richard.
Hope others will note and do the same.

You need to work out what size gas boiler / gas rate you need for heating / hot water system.
And you need to add gas cooker gas rate as well if fitted.

Gas rate size is depend on heat output from boiler.

Your gas safe installer will work out what gas rate need for a safe working condition.

If the gas rate is higher than what the U6 can supply, you need to upgrade to U10 or U16 depend on gas rate requirement for your installation.

Daniel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back