Checking if there is a water leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How easy is it to check if there is a leak in the service pipe between the outdoor and indoor stop cocks? I ask because I would like to eliminate it as a possible cause of a damp patch on a floor near an outside wall. I believe the service pipe runs nearby. The house is old and there is probably no damp proof course. There is no water meter fitted either, otherwise it would be easy to monitor the flow through it.

Sponsored Links
Last thing tonight or in the wee small hours, put a screwdriver to your stoptap and listen, if mains is leaking you,ll hear it:cool:

;)

Had a neighbour who could hear it at night . Told them had a leak and get it seen to. New people moved in and got a meter fitted. They have had a bill for 3k for 6 months. heart attack time i think :eek:

Sponsored Links
Thanks to you both. Gave this a try and can't hear anything. I notice that the service pipe is black alkathene. Would this affect hearing anything if there was a leak? Also the indoor stopcock is a bit inaccessible being behind a ktichen cupboard - OK for turning on and off, but requiring contortions to do this listening trick. Would anywhere on the rising main do or does it have to be on the stopcock.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back