Checking if water softener is working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just had a Harvey water softener installed. They left a water hardness test kit which obviously indicates all is okay but the sceptic in me dug out an old TDS meter (Total Dissolved Solid) to check the water. I had the TDS meter from years ago when I had a special deionisation filter to create clean water for washing the car, I used the TDS meter to check the water was being filtered properly and I could visibly see a much lower reading. I thought the TDS meter would also indicate a similar reading from the softened water going through the Harvey system but I'm getting around 250 ppm from the unfiltered garden tap vs around 450 ppm from a filtered tap. I was expecting the value to be near zero but why has this gone up? Is the TDS meter the wrong tool to use for a home water softener? Or is my TDS meter possibly bust?

What's the best way to check the water hardness level to verify all is okay? I've seen water hardness testing strips, is that the better thing to use?

Sponsored Links
1. TDS meters need to be re-calibrated after periods of non-use.
2. Special hardness testing devices are a better bet.
3. Don't forget that if you have a tank based system it takes a long time for the "old" water in them to be displaced by the softened stuff.

1. TDS meters need to be re-calibrated after periods of non-use.
2. Special hardness testing devices are a better bet.
3. Don't forget that if you have a tank based system it takes a long time for the "old" water in them to be displaced by the softened stuff.

Ah okay, the TDS device I have is a cheap pen type tool and it's been well over 10 years since it was purchased so I'm sure it's out of whack now. I'm testing via cold water which comes directly from mains through the softener system and I'm comparing it against the garden tap which bypasses the softener.

I'm guessing the best option is getting those cheap hard water testing strips then?

I don't know how the TDS meter works.

If you wet-shave, you will notice that your razor feels blunt if you use it in hard water. Shaving foam also forms a lot of scum.

Sponsored Links
Happy to be shot down on this.

getting around 250 ppm from the unfiltered garden tap vs around 450 ppm from a filtered tap

My water softner (using salt) does not 'filter' the water (is yours an RO filter?).

Mine removes the 'hard' bits by passing the hard incoming mains water over volcanic rocks to which the water-hardening calcium and magnesium ions stick to. The now softer water then goes on to the house taps.

Every few nights the water softner first flushes the volcanic rocks with Salt water, washing the calcium and magnesium ions off the volcanic rocks and down the drain. It then flushes the volcanic rocks with tap water, washing most of the remaining Salt off the volcanic rocks and down the drain. The volcanic rocks are then clean and ready to attract more calcium and magnesium ions.

Some salt remains in the volcanic rock tank, so the softened water is always slight salter than the tap water (hence why I have a Hard water tap for my tea, and why my kettle turns go white after a month or so).

So I would also say that the TDS meter the wrong tool to use for a home water softener.
Continue to use a hard water test to compare you softened and unsoftened taps.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=hardwater+test&crid=2TVPY4TZVQNR7&sprefix=hard+water+test,aps,190&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

SFK

Thanks for the advice everyone, I ended up getting a test strip kit from Amazon. There's quite a few available but it worked out reasonably cheap.

my kettle turns go white after a month or so

This might be the sodium bicarbonate. The softener exchanges this for the calcium carbonate from the incoming water. It wipes off easily and is not salty.

this might be the sodium bicarbonate.
No, I do not drink the softened water. Only hard water in the kettle.

I have a dedicated tap for cooking and drinking that bypasses the water softener.

In part because the tap water tastes better than the softened water and from memory typically recommended to reduce sodium uptake (from salt and from sodium bicarbonate).

In my house the hard water destroys everything with heating element (kettles and washing machines) and stains flat surfaces (bathrooms and kitchen worktops).

Hence my use of a good water softener and (now) only the regular descaling of kettle and surface of the not-softened kitchen tap.

Sfk

Last edited:
No, I do not drink the softened water. Only hard water in the kettle.

I have a dedicated tap for cooking and drinking that bypasses the water softener.

In part because the tap water tastes better thank the softened water and from memory typically recommended to reduce sodium uptake (from salt and from sodium bicarbonate).

In my house the hard water destroys everything with heating element (kettles and washing machines) and stains flat surfaces (bathrooms and kitchen worktops).

Hence my use of a good water softener and (now) only the regular descaling of kettle and surface of the not-softened kitchen tap.

Sfk
When we moved it after some time we discovered ALL our water went via the softener. I spoke to Anlian water & they said animales & old people should not drink it, AMD WE ARE OLD.

As for knowing if its working, you only need to have a shower & you cant lather up so you know.

I can show you the Sodium content of a pint of softened water vs. a pint of milk or a slice of bread or a can of coke

But you have probably already guessed which is lowest.

John, fully agree. Much much lower sodium in softened water over an entire say week than the packet of crisps I am now eating.

But my softened water does not taste as nice as my tap water.

This also makes me sigh at those who 'only drink distilled water for health reasons'! Do they not understand the significant amount of minerals in a single mouthful of food.

Last edited:
@noobiediyer I am interested - did the test kit show that your water softener is or is not working?

Yes it did, test confirmed everything as expected. I have 3 water feeds at the kitchen:
1. Hard water for drinking and cooking, (but does goes through a Brita filter)
2. Softened cold water
3. Softened hot water via megaflo storage tank

Test kit indicated 1 was hard which was expected. 2 was very soft, not the softest reading the strips detect but seems okay. 3 was somewhere in between but this might have been because the tank at the time contained a blend of softened and hard water. I will be testing the hot water again in due course as it should all be softened by now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back