Cheeky Q on Regs and Woodburning Stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Ignoring the implications for insurance, the building regs that apply to the installation of a stove (requiring BControl/HETAS signoff) only seem to become an issue when selling the house.

However, could I just remove the stove and patch up the register plate before selling the house? No appliance = No need for a certificate?

The reason I'm asking is because I want to do it myself, I have a small builders opening meaning that I can only really get a stove certified to be able to sit on a 12mm heart - which means buying a stove costing £750+ and the cheapest quote I've received from a HETAS approved installer is £500 (just labour). I'd be looking at £1,500 to do it by the book when I could buy any old stove and whack it in for about £500 if I did it myself.

That's enough rambling from me. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Ignoring the implications for insurance, the building regs that apply to the installation of a stove (requiring BControl/HETAS signoff) only seem to become an issue when selling the house.
Or that you cock up the installation and gas yourself and any other occupants of your house! :rolleyes:

Or that you cock up the installation and gas yourself and any other occupants of your house! :rolleyes:

Yup, ignore that too :LOL:

Just a theoretical question. Risks understood and accepted.

Sponsored Links
However, could I just remove the stove and patch up the register plate before selling the house? No appliance = No need for a certificate?

If you are going to ignore the regs , of course you can do the above. It seems so obvious that I don't understand why you are asking. That may however also require you to lie in answer to some of the standard solicitors' questions though

I installed my own stove ( legal here ) and it was very simple , but I was dealing with a straight run of only 3.5 m in a new chimney.

IMO the British regs are also unreasonably stringent in relation to distances flue/flammable materials. This is in comparison to what is required in France and Germany which have much greater tradition of using stoves than GB.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back