I want the flu...e

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a relatively new house, circa 1990, and wish to install a wood burning stove into the lounge. As the house does not have a chimney a double lined aluminium chimney needs to go out then up the external wall at the side of the house (above my land).

I've spent ages googling and reading and can state the following:
  • The front of my house faces the road and chimney/flue will not be on this aspect (it will be the side). It won't go more than one meter above the roofline.
  • The house needs a DEFRA approved stove as its in a 'smoke control area under the clean air act 1956'.
  • It is not in a conservation zone.
  • I have a HETAS engineer to install and sign the appliance off.

My question is do I need planning permission to install this new chimney/flue?

My house has 'an article 4 directive meaning there are no permitted development rights'. Annoyingly I have spoken to Oxford council planning (they have a drop in service) and was informed that I would need to pay £40 for some provisional planning application advice and they couldn't say?!.

My HETAS installer states that he really isn't sure and that I should check with planning. The local stove shop have told me I do not need permission.

I'm concerned that the month turn around and £40 for written advice from the council will extend the project and equally increase the cost as in this case planning applications are free (except for drawings). If I do apply for planning and its not needed I have wasted the fee for drawings and also potentially waited ages!

If anyone knows any more about this stuff / has any advice it will be well appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Normally, your chimney would be permitted development as it would meet all the criteria.
However, if there is an article 4 direction removing all permitted development rights, you would need planning permission
for the flue.
You would not need to pay the normal planning application fee, but personally I wouldn't bother with their £40
consultation fee - waste of money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back